UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Recap every evening at 6.30 on Versus.
This race is traditionally one of the most incredible events each year. It's traditionally a race from Paris France to Dakar Africa. They race motorcycles, quads, cars, and even semitrucks! It takes like two weeks to complete!Racing as much as 12 hours per day, every day, at incredible speeds, with routefinding and treacherous terrain -- its just amazing! I am in complete awe of the riders that participate.
The race was cancelled last year due to the political instability in Africa; the racers safety from bandits, etc could not be assured. It's bad enough that racers are often killed racing the event, the additional hazard couldn't be justified.
This year, its been moved to South America.
So far, it seems pretty tame as compared to the "original" event. Of course, I don't think the TV coverage has been all that good. As usual, they just give snippits of things and don't show the heart and soul of the event. I am reserving judgement until more of the event has transpired. I'm hoping theres going to be more technical terrain and route finding, the stuff that has always made this event so interesting.
Anyways, check it out!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
UP Magoo said:
The race was cancelled last year due to the political instability in Africa; the racers safety from bandits, etc could not be assured. It's bad enough that racers are often killed racing the event, the additional hazard couldn't be justified.
This year, its been moved to South America.

Yeah, it sounds like they have already lost one rider.....from France?

It just does not seem right that they have moved the race to Chile/Argentina. Hopefully it will return to Africa next year.

BTW, I cannot imagine the costs invovled in participating in a race like that.

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
They also have the TV update at 3:30 if you happen to be home on sick leave :nod: I miss the announcer from years past, Moody, I think was his last name. He actually seemed to know what he was talking about. I guess right know I'll take any watching of bikes in the dirt.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
barkbuster67 said:
They also have the TV update at 3:30 if you happen to be home on sick leave :nod: I miss the announcer from years past, Moody, I think was his last name. He actually seemed to know what he was talking about. I guess right know I'll take any watching of bikes in the dirt.
:cool: :ride:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
My friend, Elmer Symons died two years ago, chasing his dream in the Dakar rally. I think a few Americans I know took notice, especially after Chris Blais accident, training for the Dakar.

Jonah Street, however, is making us all proud, here in the USA! 2nd overall, top four every day so far, winning today's stage on a private, Rally Pan Am bike, built in the USA.

The very unfortunate death of Frenchman Pascal Terry appears to not be the result of a crash, however. I do hope that they do a full investigation of exactly what happened, in this case.

You can read more about this at advrider.com (racing forum,) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417706&page=87 post # 1294

Today, 09:47 PM #1294
Jeffy
<insert witty remark>

Oddometer: 818 TERRY DIED OF LUNG EDEMA

French motorcyclist Pascal Terry died of a lung edema which caused a respiratory and cardiac arrest according to an autopsy.

Terry was found dead early yesterday morning after going missing during the second stage of the Dakar Rally on Sunday.

The 49-year-old had informed race control his Yamaha had run out of petrol at the 197-kilometre mark between Santa Rosa and Puerto Madrid but later could not be contacted by organisers.

According to the official report, he showed no signs of bruising nor dehydration and had died sometime between Sunday night and early Monday morning, just a few hours after his disappearance.

"He had taken out his helmet, he had food and water with him and had no signs of bruises, nor his bike," said local police spokesman Julio Acosta.
"We guess he got lost then he suffered some kind of health problem and he died waiting for the assistance."

Despite the fact Terry had not been in contact with the organisers since Sunday afternoon, police said they were only informed about his disappearance on Monday night.

The reason for this delay is still unclear and is yet to be clarified by the race organisers.

Argentina newspaper Clarin reported on their website that there was a communication problem between the organisers.

"Apparently Terry turned on his emergency beacon on Sunday afternoon, and that information was received at the Paris headquarters but they didn't inform the Argentina crew until Monday morning," it claimed.

http://www.sportinglife.com/others/n...ar_Terry.html#

89 pages, and 1325 posts in this thread, alone, as of now. Possibly the most current information in the world posted here. Many other related threads, as well.

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
I'm strippin down the 9fiddy right now in preperation for next year. Magoo, can you be part of my chase team? You'll have to ride along with someone who likes to play the music loud. :cool: Only mechanic I could find that will work for booze.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
No, but a Dakar veteran from the Czech Republic, entered this year's race on a 147cc z50 based bike. Dropped out after day 3, I think, after ongoing oil leak problems.

Very cool looking bike. :nod: :cool: Check it out at the bottom of his photo gallery at: http://www.ivokastan.cz/?pg=fotogalerie

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom