Damaged Engine - advice please

cello

Apr 25, 2002
Husky WR250 97

Went out for a ride at the weekend and after about twenty minutes of light going the engine bogged down and stalled. After attempting to restart it was like the Piston was moving through molten tar and was binding on something !

After getting home and removing the barrel it looks like the exaust bridge has craked and a piece of that went through the engine gradually causing the piston crown to fragment in various places - these fragments in turn have managed to find their way into the crankcase and looks like they are in the bigend bearings !

Still picking fragments of metal out of the crankcase with a magnet and attempting to flush the bearing in situ with petrol . The barrel was repaired about 12 months ago as a slight crack was seen in the bridge and also nicosil replated . Maybe they never welded the crack as asked only plated over the top of it - this would explain why it failed.

Question is what needs doing to the engine - complete bottom end rebuild - assuming I can remove the majority of the debris and get the crank/bigend turning smoothly again will this be sufficient.

Also should I contact the plating company and see wht they say - the bridge will need welding again anyway and also maybe even replating AND another new piston !

Not sure why it failed in the first place as the bike was running perfectly without any signs of imminent failure so believe it was something to do with the original weld repair.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Cello

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by cello

Question is what needs doing to the engine - complete bottom end rebuild - assuming I can remove the majority of the debris and get the crank/bigend turning smoothly again will this be sufficient.

Also should I contact the plating company and see wht they say -

Cello

Cello.

You should split the cases and clean the bottom end out. It is very hard to get all of the peices out of the bottom end and some of them may have already found their way into the main bearings.

If it were me, I would definitly contact the plating Co. and tell them what happened. Can't hurt.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Agree, 89r is right, he was dead on with my motor and had to clean out the entire bottom end, along with adding some interesting writing on my crank.;)

indy650

Oct 25, 2003
bikerod1%2Ejpg

bikerod3%2Ejpg

bikerodpis%2Ejpg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom