lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Has anyone got a KDX with a black frame?

I've got a '99 with a green frame, and although I'm pretty keen on Kawasaki green, the glossy frame is a bit too much for my liking...

:clue:

I'm thinking more along the lines of satin black powdercoating, like the later model R1 frames (no Yamaha flamings, please!). I reckon it'd look trick with the green fenders and tank.

So I was wondering if they were sold with a black frame at some stage, or if someone had the job done on their ride that could swing us a pic. Otherwise I'll either have to take the slight risk that it'll look crap, or spend a few hours in Photoshop making a preview.

You're a great bunch of people. You deserve a beer :thumb:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
My purple 96 has a black frame.
http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunity/tedskdx.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=586

I was searching for something other than green on purple and also wanted something other than green acerbis side protection plates. I came up with the idea to try some brush on bed liner from jc whitney. I liked how it looked and when it wears down it is easy to make it look fresh again. Also it helps you frame from rusting.
In the picture at the gas tank you can see purple. I used 3m purple vinyl number backgrounds to change the color green. The rear fender is the same vinyl.
The bed liner even provides a bit of grip. Some people would think this hill billy. Maybe so.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
tedkxkdx said:
I came up with the idea to try some brush on bed liner from jc whitney.

I've been wanting to try that on mine. I used Herculiner on my Nissan, (it's nearly impossible to get off) thought I'd try it on the frame

NICE bike Ted! I guess nobody ever told you KDX's are not made for JUMPING :laugh:
(But what else you gonna do, don't see many mountains in yer pics) :whiner:

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Hey tedkxkdx, your machine looks great. If I get around to it this weekend I might dabble around in Photoshop and post a pic here (if I can?).

codhead

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2003
Have just had my frame powder coated satin black. once i get it put back together will post some pictures of it. :yeehaw:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Wibby, Just remember to dab and not brush it on. Brush strokes look too dorky and dabbing helps to get more liner in one spot.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
If anyone's interested there is a pic of my KDX after the frame got powdercoated black up on bikepics dot com, user lankytim.

I reckon it turned out pretty choice, hopefully it wears nice and tough.

No jokes about the tires, daggy graphics or bent 'spannie please...

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
:cool: Great looking bike!

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
lankytim said:
If anyone's interested there is a pic of my KDX after the frame got powdercoated black up on bikepics dot com, user lankytim.

I reckon it turned out pretty choice, hopefully it wears nice and tough.

No jokes about the tires, daggy graphics or bent 'spannie please...

Looks good lankytim. I contemplated doing that as well. How much did it cost you to get the frame powder coated?

P.S. you definitely need a new set of knobbies.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
I took my frame to Logan Powdercoating (don't know where in Queensland you are, TheGrinch, but I'm originally from up there too) and they only asked AU$110 to sandblast and powdercoat it. I guess if you wanted a different finish they still might be able to help you, but I just opted for the stock black coat since they do runs of that colour every day.

Yes, Katie has a few bits and pieces she needs before we set out up Cape York in a few weeks, and a new set of tyres is definitely on top of the list. At least my frame won't rust in the salt spray now.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
WOW, that is a cool bike...

Ted, from your post it sounds as if you used purple vinyl number plate backgrounds to turn your green plastic to purple...do I understand your post correctly? If so, how long did it take to do all of your plastic? I presume you did the underside of the fenders too?

Top Bottom