Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I changed out the oem exhaust cam with a HotRods decomp cam on my 444.

I've only gone through the break-in procedure so no report on the performance changes the cam may have made.
But one thing I can report on is how drastically the cam changed the charector of my bike.

What in the world was Yamaha thinking by making the decompression a manual operation?
My bike now is as easy as starting a tiddler 2banger. No kidding.

I knew that there were other boards with folks touting the decomp cam as a gift from heaven...but I was very skeptical if I would find it worth the money.
I am no longer the skeptic...it was Well worth the money, even if I see no performance gain.
I could start the thing in bare feet. No kidding.
I could even start it with my hand.
I saw a kid post that very same thing on another board and I thought, "yeah right sure you can"
...the kid was spot-on.

If you have an older thumper, you need this cam.
If you are old and fat, like me...you need this cam.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
www.hotcamsinc.com
The Hotcams auto-decompression exhaust cam for 400/426's touts increase in mid-top power, however as I stated can't confirm any claims on this cam other than it makes starting the bike a completely different ballgame. If I see added performance, then so be it and I'm even happier.

If you want to purchase a new cam that will give you the best bang for the buck, look into the Hotcams adjustable sprocket cams. Too bad best of both worlds isn't available.

You will need to find a shim source, as you will definately change out shims, on the exhaust side at the very least.

Last edited:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I keep telling my buddy he needs to do that to his 02 but he's like BigLou and thinks a new one would be nicer. :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
When the sales lady at the Yami shop told me she could "kick" the WR over with her hand, I kinda scoffed and rolled my eyes. She was right, what a difference.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Rooster said:
When the sales lady at the Yami shop told me she could "kick" the WR over with her hand, I kinda scoffed and rolled my eyes. She was right, what a difference.

What did she do? Push the little red button? :laugh:

Top Bottom