Diff betwen CRF an XR?

integ3

Mar 25, 2007
I currently own a '97 CR250 but plan to upgrade to a 4-stroke down the road...so I figured i'd start to research it now. So what are the difference between the two? Motor, frame, suspension?? Also is there a bike maker that stands out from the rest in the 4-stroke world...or are they all pretty close like the CR/YZ 2-stroke bikes?

Thanks for any advice.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Difference between a CRFxxxF and an XR is pretty much nothing just the CRFxxxF branding replaced the XR branding. Difference between a CRFxxxR and or a CRFxxxX and an XR is huge.

integ3

Mar 25, 2007
So the CRF250X and the CRF250R is what I want? The only difference between the two is whan they were made?

integ3

Mar 25, 2007
This sounds like a newbie question, but a 4-stroke 250 is not as powerful as a 2-stroke 250? I don't race but I've always been riding the MX style of bike so that's what I want.

I thought the 450's were reserved for the heavier guys. I weigh 185 lbs. and I feel my CR250 is just right...if not a hair too much, but a CR125 is definetly too small. Would the 450 4-stroke be consideribly more power than the 2-stroke 250? How much weaker would the 4-stroke 250 be than the bike I have now...assuming they are both in the same condition?

Thanks for the advice, I've never even considered a 450.

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
Coming off of a CR 250, you are probably going to be disappointed with the performance of any XR.
To get the same performance, you are pretty much going to be forced to go with a CRF450X.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
If you are just riding trails and not going to MX the bike you would probably be very happy with the CRF250R (or X) version. It will produce almost as much power as your CR250 but the power differance will be modified by the fact the 4 stroke makes it lower down in the throttle so it will be more usable to a weekend rider. If you are plan ning to MX or are an advanced trail rider you might want the extra HP the 450 will make.
The CRF250 (from the old XR line) is a very relaible trail bike that lacks the power and suspension of the racing style watercooled CRF's

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
integ3 said:
So the CRF250X and the CRF250R is what I want? The only difference between the two is whan they were made?

The X is a high performance machine designed for trail usage, it has a headlight, softer suspension, quieter exhaust and a wider ratio gearbox than the R which is a full blown MX race bike.

integ3

Mar 25, 2007
Is there any physical difference between the X and the R. Like suspension travel, swing arm length, stuff like that...or is it just softer spring rates and valveing?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…