difference between 2 and 4 stroke

Kx_rider

Mar 19, 2007
northwestern Ontario
I guess this is more 4 stroke based. well i haven't been into bikes all that long as im a die hard sled Man. Now my question is. why do they race All 4 stroke bikes now? another question of mine is iv ridden my kx 2 stroke and a TTR 4 stroke and the 2 stroke when U crank that throttle all the way back She gets up there faster then u can even think about it and screams tho all the gears... I love this!... love it.. well on the TTR i had to wait for it to wind out in each gear.. which felt Vary slow and sluggish. point being.. does a 250 or up(in CC) 4 stroke bike hit hard like a 2 stroke? im buying a next bike soon, ill never buy a 4 stroke if it there anything like that TTR was. if there's not much of diff on the Real size bikes then this can open up more for me in buying.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Kx_rider said:
why do they race All 4 stroke bikes now?

Inequities in the AMA rules that allowed 250 four strokes to race 125 2 strokes and 450 4 strokes to race 250 2 strokes has basically lead to the extinction of 2 strokes for racing at a National level. Combine this with an OEM agenda to push the more expenisve to purchase and maintain 4 strokes and you end up with very limited 2 stroke options.

A 250F or 450F race bike is nothing like that TT-R.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The mx 4ts are very powerful. The 250 4t is not as strong as a 250 2t. The "hit" isn't as hard on a 4t. The 450s are insane. Most people I know who ride a 450 shouldn't. I would say the 250 4t is like a Mustang while the 450 is like a Viper. You know what I'm trying to say. A 450 is more power than is necessary for most riders. The 250 4ts are easy to ride fast. More forgiving and smoother than the 2t. They have good torque down low and decent top end. They wind up very quickly like a 2t. That TTR you rode has a very heavy flywheel and restrictive engine design which leaves you with a slow revving engine. There is some additional maintenance with a 4t mx bike.

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
The main reason 4s are now being used, is due to the U.S. emission standards....2-strokes are being outlawed, as far as new production. It was the only way to keep the fuel-shortage and global warming farces going. It also makes racing much safer....no more high-speed crashes! :laugh:

Huck450

Aug 2, 2008
The 4 stroke race bikes are full on competition bikes, your TTR is not. In general a 450 four stroke or a 250 two stroke come out fairly even. 2-stroke 4-ever sums it up in the Tight Woods Single-Trak thread (not sure how to post the link)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
kschilk said:
The main reason 4s are now being used, is due to the U.S. emission standards....2-strokes are being outlawed, as far as new production. It was the only way to keep the fuel-shortage and global warming farces going. It also makes racing much safer....no more high-speed crashes! :laugh:

You close with a joke so I'm not sure if the entire post was meant as a joke?

No current racing 4 strokes meets emission standards either and closed course competition motorcycles are exempt from EPA regulations. Bottom line it has nothing to do with emissions.

Dec 8, 2007
The 450s are insane. Most people I know who ride a 450 shouldn't. I would say the 250 4t is like a Mustang while the 450 is like a Viper. You know what I'm trying to say. A 450 is more power than is necessary for most riders

I'd just like to chime in here on this point. I'm considering buying a 450 for this very reason. I don't really like pinnin it and revving out all the time on my 125, or my friends 250fs just to get the power I need, the 450 has such smooth power from down low to up top, it just makes things so much easier on the track. I love 450s.

May 10, 2007
_JOE_ said:
I would say the 250 4t is like a Mustang while the 450 is like a Viper.

and the TT-R is like a minivan

and im going to attempt to translate ignition retards post....im lazy and need to feel fast w/o doing any work! :nener:

Top Bottom