bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
First of all, this is not about which oil is better. This is about which ratio I feel provides adequate lubrication for my riding style - MX. In fact, the Mobile MX2T piston looked the best at 32 :1, but I do not care for MX2T (won't go into details).

At 40: 1, the Klotz R50 looked good, no scratches, but things were getting a little shiny on the intake side.I was happy with it though.
I do go over my jetting each change I make to my motor

Amsoil 50: 1.....well...you can see for yourself. Heavy scratches on the intake side. All the top ends were serviced at 45 to 50 hours on a 2003 KX250, B-rider, MX only. I am currently testing the Amsoil for a second time at 32 to 1.Just to prove my point! I do not believe in 50:1 ratios(for mx anyway)Please save the dirt or water comments for someone else.

As I explained earlier in another post, if you look at the scratches, they are forming inline below the piston ring locating pins. The KX cylinder has an aggressive intake port. I believe that the center of the piston swells into the intake window of the cylinder where there is no support. If you look at the pistons below the locating pins, it rides on a thin wall and this is where all of the support is centered. You need all of the lubrication that you can get.

The KX250 cylinder, I believe, is excellent at testing oil ratios. Not all porting layouts will show such results. I do think the Amsoil is a good oil,but the ratio is a bad suggestion for anything more than trail riding. I will prove this when I pull my topend with the 32:1 amsoil.

Note: The black line you see under the piston window is just magic marker.

Keith 455
"LET'S JUST RIDE"
03 KX250

Attachments

• 32_to_1.jpg
    32_to_1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 40_to_1.jpg
    40_to_1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 50_to_1.jpg
    50_to_1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 253

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
thats interesting info, i have always ran 32:1 in my 125s but recently i have reduced to 40:1 as there was so much oil in the crank area it seemed like it was wasting it,however i have now got premix at cost price :)and may go back to 32:1 based on your post.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
marcusgunby said:
thats interesting info, i have always ran 32:1 in my 125s but recently i have reduced to 40:1 as there was so much oil in the crank area it seemed like it was wasting it,however i have now got premix at cost price :)and may go back to 32:1 based on your post.

I have pulled my pipe running the amsoil at 32:1 after I burned a little over a gallon of the oil(over 16 tanks of gas).I can tell you just by looking at the exhaust side of the piston compared to the 50:1 piston, the current piston looks WAY better protected,(very noticeable) I cannot wait to show the 32:1 piston INTAKE SIDE. On a side note,the exhaust port floor and roof running 32:1 dominator is spotless,the powervalves(front side subs and main valve are also spotless) .

When I was running 50:1 and tore down the motor,the crank looked beautiful very well lubricated. The piston though was not to my liking. Sure the crank looked good,but that was at shut down, idling in from the track(time for the oil to replenish)

Spin some high rpms with a good load and shut it down,bet we see the crank less lubricated.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
JasonWho said:
Hey, thanks for the pics. This is interesting.

Jason your welcome,thanks for the thanks. It will be more interesting when I show the amsoil at 32:1

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
You're welcome. It's nice to see a piston related thread that doesn't say, "look what brand ABC oil did to my piston", then you ask them how they had it jetted and they say, "how I had it WHAT?!"

Oh, and I actually caught it correctly in the other thread about oil/water being sucked past a leaking seal! Hoo-ray!

Care to PM me on your reasons not to run MX2T?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Don't PM the reasons, post them. I'm way curious too.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Jaybird said:
Don't PM the reasons, post them. I'm way curious too.

I have found surface rust on the crank halves and it looked a little dry,it may have looked a little dry because the color of the mx2t is not as prominent like red color oils,but when rotating the crank I was not happy with the oil being picked up..I know for sure though I had surface rust,I do not change oils during the service of the top end,I ran 927,no surface rust,I ran amsoil,no surface rust,then I ran the mx2t and had surface rust. My KX does not grow cob webs, I am out 2-3 times a week.

I was very happy with the mx2t when it comes to the piston at 32:1,very happy.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I also noticed that the Klotz 40:1 piston has the most discoloration from carbon. The top of the piston seems to be more brown than either of the other two. The Amsoil 50:1 piston I would say probably lost the most material because it seems to have the most scratches and worn spots on it.

Your research is GREAT. Too bad you didn't have a very precise digital scale that you could use to weigh the pistons before and after removal. These pictures are why I have always used 32:1 or better.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
MikeT said:
I also noticed that the Klotz 40:1 piston has the most discoloration from carbon. The top of the piston seems to be more brown than either of the other two. The Amsoil 50:1 piston I would say probably lost the most material because it seems to have the most scratches and worn spots on it.

Your research is GREAT. Too bad you didn't have a very precise digital scale that you could use to weigh the pistons before and after removal. These pictures are why I have always used 32:1 or better.

Mike,Good point! the piston rings grooves running the klotz showed more carbon TOO than the amsoil and mobil also. Check the pictures carefully again.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
bigred which amsoil are you using? dominator? intercepter? series 2000? i think the series 2000 has been discontinued or renamed or something.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I disliked the MX2t because it had no color to it. It would have been very easy to forget to mix it with the gasoline.

Thanks for the time it took to post this. I appreciate your work.

Top Bottom