different sping rates in different forks?

wr3cked

Apr 27, 2005
say for instance you were between sping rates on your front forks, and no aftermarket company you could find had your spiecific spring rate. would it work to put one rate higher and one rate lower in each side of the fork, so it averaged out? i mean both forks are connected at the top and bottom. so its not like they will move are different rates? does this make sense? the guy at the shop i go to does suspension. and he claims this is so... any input?

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
Don't most springs come in pairs? I don't know if you could even buy 2 different rates. I would just go with the heavier spring and maybe less oil.

wr3cked

Apr 27, 2005
not from honda they dont... im saying for example stock is a .43 and you stick a .46 in one leg to make it around a .45 ....

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Your forks only function as a team, an equal team!
I disagree. Most trials bikes have a spring in only one leg, and dampening circuits in the other leg. This is an extreme example of "different" spring rates in the two fork legs. So I think that the idea of using unequal spring rates to obtain a desired average rate has merit.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I have heard of it being done before for the very reason you are asking about.

There have been bikes in the past where one leg contained the compression circuit and other contained the rebound. I can't remember if it was KTM or ATK that did that.

Dekester

Jan 2, 2007
A major kayaba rebuilder suggested I could do just that in my forks as I have .46 in there now and are too heavy. He said put the .43 I already have lying around in one leg and and they would average out.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
adam728 said:
I have heard of it being done before for the very reason you are asking about.

There have been bikes in the past where one leg contained the compression circuit and other contained the rebound. I can't remember if it was KTM or ATK that did that.

I remember that too. It was the Marzocchi forks that came on alot of the Euro bikes in those days.

Top Bottom