Different types of hare scrambles??

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
Is there a difference between hare scrambles and hare and hound scrambles? Also, is there some type of woods racing that is shorter than a hare scramble, but follows the same lines? Like a 5k fun run as opposed to a full marathon. I am looking to get into my first hare scramble, but I am not yet in shape to run the 'full marathon'.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
typically on the east coast they are called harescrambles, on the west coast hare and hound. I'v raced many east coast hare scrambles and have ridden one hare and hound course on in Utah, but never raced a hare and hound. In my (limited) experence the hare and hound is more of a high speed dez race while eastern harescrambles are tight woods.

As for a shorter harescramble race - they are only 2-3 hours and are the short alternative to an enduro. Often the C class race is seperate from the rest of the classes and runs on an abbreviated course - typically the race lasts 1-1.5 hours. Check out ECEA, AMA and locally organized races in your area, chances are one of them shortens the race time for the C class riders. In my area (AMA D-7) the AMA and ECEA races are the same time for everyone, but the VCHSS (virginia series) runs the C class before the others on a shortend course.

I don't think you would have a problem with a 2 hour race. Just pace yourself and take a pit stop if needed. No one that I know can ride full out for 2 hours and still be consistent. If you can trail ride for 2 hours you can ride a 2 hour hare scramble race.

I don't know of a shorter type of woods race.

Good luck, race, have fun:)

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
You might actually find an enduro to be easier if your a little out of shape. The trail is not usually so beat up, and as long as your an average c-rider, you'll get several 10-30 minute breaks during the event. If your really slow though, you won't get to some of the re-sets in time to take a break.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
The organization I race harescrambles for has a team division where you get to switch off with a teamate as often as you want for the 2 hour race... You don't get points or trophys, but it is a good intro for noobs... They also have 1 race per season that is a 3 hour team race and has trophies, cash, etc....

If you pace yourself, 2 hours is really no big deal...

- B

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
I guess that it won't be that bad. My buddy and I usually ride for a few hours before we take a long break (other than quick water/gas breaks), so I should be good. I am not trying to win a hare scramble, I just want to finish and have fun! The team hare scrambles sound fun, but I haven't heard of anyone doing them here in Florida. Also, I think that the Florida circuit is pretty much done for the season. Is this true, or is there another group doing them other than the FTR group?

May 26, 2005
No just FTR that I know of. They have been doing them forever. The Hare Scramble for this weekend in Bunnel just got canceled more than likely due to all the ridiculous rains we've had. Unfortunately that was to be the last one of the season and I was planning on racing it :(

05-06 season starts mid August in Sweetwater. I hope they reschedule but I doubt it will happen.

Top Bottom