Digital Calipers

qwchrbeliakn

Apr 24, 2003
Where can a get a set of high quality digital calipers? I also need a bore gauge. I have previously used the telescope-type bore gauge and will probably buy the same.

I currently have an old fashioned set of calipers; the non-dial, non-digital readout type. But, shouldn't I be able to obtain more accuracy with the digital type?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
IMO a pair of dial calipers are fine. Digital is nice but mine never seem to have fresh batteries in them and I end up using the dial ones anyway. My digitals were $225 (many years ago) and the dial was $30 or something. The accuracy is the same between the two and I admit the digital is easier to read but so is the dial for $200 bucks.

Verniers like you have are sufficient too but not nearly as easy to read as either of the others.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
my digital calipers cost $20 from harbour freight and they work remarkably well for most tasks. there was a thread ages ago about bore guages and stuff, search this and the repair forum

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
check out mitutoyo, thats what we used in school, and there not too expensive.

http://www.mitutoyo.com/index.php

Eric

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
www.jlindustrial.com is an excellent source for Fowler bore guages and calipers at reasonable prices

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…