Jbgabriel

Feb 23, 2006
Im looking at picking up a bore gauge for top end rebuilds, etc. I found this one on ****.

This brand new never been used Dial Bore Gauge is MPP (Minnesota Pneumatic Products). Range 2-6". Graduation 0.0005". A dial bore gauge is a universal measuring instrument which is designed to measure the inside diameter of a working part through relative measurement. A deviation of a bore can be displayed directly through a dial indicator, a micron indicator or a digital micron indicator which is set on top of a dial bore gauge. It adopts substitutable inserted anvils and gaskets to adjust its measuring range, so it's convenient to operate and also reliable in it's center-determination. Because it adopts advanced structure and is tested stricly under GB8122-87 STANDARD before putting them on the market, thus its high quality and reliable performance is guaranteed. Comes in a nice wooden box that has two hinges on the backside and two latches on the front.Comes with a 90 day warranty.

Is this gonna work for my needs or am I going to have to go with something more accurate like this one?

Fowler Xtender-E Electronic Bore Gages

Electronic indicator providing inch/metric reading capability. Preset size of master for absolute reading and minimum hold feature to lock on the bore size as the gage is rocked through the bore.

Bore Gage Featues:
• Range: 1.4"-6"/35mm-150mm
• Carbide anvils.
• Easily adjusable.
• Self-centering.
• Includes extension holder.
• Shop hardened case.

Indicator Features:
• Dual reading inch/metric electronic indicator.
• Bar graph and numeric digital display.
• Resolution: .00005"/.001mm.
• Preset with recall.
• ABS/INC measurment.
• Min/Max/TIR

I would have posted links but you cant link to ****. Im trying to save as much money as possible but still have something that will be reliable. All opinions welcome. Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A bore gauge is a handy tool to have if you already have a micrometer and inside mic's. A bore gauge will show the taper in a cylinder but you cant measure your piston with it.

If you don't already have them, I would suggest investing in a good micrometer and an inside micrometer or snap gauges. They take a little more time and skill to use but you can make more measurements with them than you can with a bore gauge. And you will probably pay less for them.

Just my $ .02

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You only really need .0005" precision for cylinder work. One advantage to using snap guages and a micrometer is that the actual measurements are both done with the same tool. Since you use the same micrometer used to measure the piston to measure the snap guage, any calibration errors are eliminated because the difference between the two measurements is all that is important.

Jbgabriel

Feb 23, 2006
I already own a venier caliper and multiple micrometers. Im just looking for something to determine if my cylinder is worn or not. Im not worried about measuring pistons or anything just the bore. What are snap gauges? It sounds like that might be a better alternative.

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Snap gauges are telescopic, spring loaded gauges that expand inside the cylinder. They come in a set, usually 4 or 5 different size gauges that will measure I.D.'s from 1/4" or smaller up to 5-6" or larger. Much less expensive than a bore gauge and not limited to just measuring cylinder bores.

You put them in the cylinder and release the tension and the gauge snaps out to the size of the bore. Then you lock the gauge and remove it and check the size with your outside micrometer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom