dirtbiker population

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I have some annoying paintball 'friends' that are slowly deteriorating my control of anger. For some reason they got it in their mind that paintball puts dirtbiking to shame. They also think that paintball is more popular than dirtbiking, so they showed me a site that showed 'extreme sports' population. Well, paintball had 7.5 million people, but included kids over age of 6 and ppl who had only played ONCE. And the census was only for activities that I saw in x-games, so no dirtbiking there, except fmx, but no one cares about that. I know that more people ride dirtbikes but dont know where to find a census for number of people who do. I know this is a very stupid argument, but all I need is a site with numbers and they may hopefully shut-up. BTW, this whole argument started after I recently fractured a bone in my wrist from crashing my dirtbike and they started saying that dirtbiking is stupid etc.. Its like hanging out with 2 yr olds.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Glitch
Its like hanging out with 2 yr olds.
Just like putting a paintball gun in Thumps hands at dirtweek :aj:
Glitch I do both and yes paintball probably is played by more people then ride but if we are talking popularity I guess we should look at spectators. My thought is that far more people attend MX/SX events than show up at paintball games.
I really enjoy paintball as a pressure release just as I enjoy riding. Don't make me pick between the 2 :think:

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
You really think more people in the world play paintball than ride dirtbikes. :think: I guess, they should do a census though. That spectator thing is so true though, thanks. I too sometimes enjoy paintball, but spent maybe $100 on a gun and another $100 on accessories. But they spent around $2000 on a gun and another $2000 for accessories. :confused: And its awesome that each time I go for a ride, it maybe costs me $10 for supplies, but it cost paintball players atleast $70.
Brick, I know 8 people who ride and maybe 4 who play paintball, but those four are either little weaklings or fat couch potatoes, no offense to anyone else.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Does it really matter in this case who's right or wrong? Some things aren't worth arguing about.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I understand that Green Horn, I've already tried to end this issue. I told them that both sports are best because they are what we like to do, but some of them thought that I was then backing down and saying paintball is better. Anyway, I'm just kind of ingnoring them now.
One final thing, I've heard in these forums that motocross and supercross are the second most physically demanding sport, after soccer. Does anyone, anyone at all, know of site or book where this report is printed.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Don't know of any reports with comparisons. Bottom line is that there alot of sports that are demanding. I think there are so many variances between sports that it's a tough to judge what's more demanding.

As for backing down?? Sometimes that's what real men do... :) So tell them that you're backing down. Tell them it's because you really don't care anymore. Sounds to me like they're razzin' you big time and you're falling for it. I've had countless "heated discussions" with co-workers where I just ended up telling them that it's not worth it. You'd be surprised how some people will get even more frustrated just because you don't want to waste time arguing. To me it's more fun to see them get so mad just because I don't care about the conversation one way or the other. Try it out sometime and you'll see what I mean. :)

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
How about combining the two activities? Think "Max Max" meets "Time 2 Ride". Heck, we already have the protective gear on...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I used to have stupid arguement like that, as you get older you realise its really not worth the energy.Best thing to do is to start to agree with everything they say-that will really bug them after about a hour-they are pulling your strings.

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
I play(ed) both. I have a paintball gun, and 3 dirtbikes :). I spent a total of probably $300 on paintball, including all gear, the gun, and every time I played. The problem was, Id go out there (no job) and be shooting, and ever time I shot, 4.5 cents went away. When you can shoot about 300 rounds a minute..... Its expensive. Anyone wanna buy my gun&gear for $100? Its in perfect condition, tippmann pro carbine, email me if you are interested,
rtdach@mchsi.com

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i dont get the "paintball courses". the teams hide behind stuff and lay down lines of fire. whooooo big deal. im sure it makes it easier to spectate but that form of paintball seems boring to me. give me a gilley suit and some natrural terrain or a large warehouse with lots of hidey holes and elevation and i might think about it.

lukewozere

May 9, 2003
I think paintball should be one of those things u go to where u turn up in speedo's pay a few $$$£££ get all the kit pick ur gun shoot some people give kit back go home ride YOUR dirtbike, but everyones entitled to their opinion :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…