truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/news/2002/08/22/2002082227375.htm

I hate that the kid was killed and I wish that it didn't happen but in the Upstate there are no riding areas for OHV's and kids end up learning to ride illegally and without supervision for the most part.

Please read the article and send some comments to the author. Just a note saying how bad you feel for the parents and that you hope no knee-jerk reaction is made.

Thanks

PS... if the letter below looks familiar, it should. I have unfortunately sent it to a few newspapers around the nation lately :(

I read the report about the child who was killed while riding an ATV. First, my heartfelt condolences go out to the child and the child's family. Unfortunately, accidents happen and however unavoidable they seem to be it is heartwrenching when they do happen.

I ride and race dirtbikes. I am a slow rider still trying to get out of the beginner class at age 30. I know many people who ride and race who range from 4 years old to 60+. I would really hate for this unfortunate incident to lead to any type of restriction. In my opinion it is almost as bad for a knee jerk reaction to occur and take away opportunities for young people as it is for this accident to occur.

In all sports there are accidents. According to Safe Kids in 2000 there were 25,600 All Terrain Vehicle (ATV)-related injuries and nearly 2,400 children were treated for snowmobile-related injuries. That number is much less than the more popular sports offered in the public schools. For example, Safe Kids points out that Baseball has the highest fatality rate among all sports for children ages 5 to 14. Furthermore, The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has the following statistics of injury for the year 1998:

Baseball 180,582
Basketball 631,186
Bicycles 577,621
Football 355,247

Those are very popular sports and have a tremendous amount of supervision and guidance incorporated in them. Yet we still have accidents. The answer to avoiding accident's with OHV's, as it is with any port, is not an age restriction that will take away a aluable learning opportunity for the youth. It is ore ducation, more riding opportunities to avoid overcrowding and most importantly, parental involvement.

I know of many young kids who are highly motivated as a result of dirtbikes. From a young age they wanted to ride and they have put forth a tremendous effort to achieve their goals. Whether it is working part time to afford the bike itself or working extra hard with chores and homework to be allowed to ride on the weekend, I see children every week doing their best so they can enjoy their chosen recreation.

From my experience riding OHV's is a great opportunity and character builder for young people. I can show you ten times as many quality young people who have benefited from being involved in dirtbiking at a young age than anyone can show me accidents.

It surprises me that parents and others expect someone
else to be responsible for the safety of their child.
Safety is not a hard lesson to teach and it is all
common sense. Not only when riding but in all parts
of life too. Parents bring there children up not to
walk with their shoes untied and to look both ways
before crossing the street but they appear to
conveniently forget that riding in or on any vehicle
has it's hazards.

I request that as you move forward with this story you please contact the Motorcycle Safety Foundation(http://www.msf-usa.org/) at 1-800-446-9227 and the American Motorcyclist Association (http://www.ama-cycle.org) at (614) 856-1900 for other viewpoints on age restrictions and the proper safety procedures that should be put in place.

Thank you for your time. Again, my heartfelt condolences go out to the injured rider and family.

Sincerely,
Ivan J. Liechty
Spartanburg, SC
South Carolina Off-Road Enthusiasts (www.scohv.org)
AMA Member

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
Easley? That's waaaay too close to home, only a 15 or so minute drive. I hate to hear things like this. I'm surprised I missed it on the news. My heart goes out to the family. :ugg:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ditto. :(

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
sorry, but, that just don't pass the smell test. just like the smart girl that "got kidnapped" by some "stranger". i might be waaay off, but i don't buy the story in the paper.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Since I sent in my letter they have removed the part about the push for a federal law banning atv's for children under 16. Hopefully he is researching with the AMA and MSF.

Ivan

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Ivan, you have such a way with words, and your response is well researched. It's good to have guys like you on our side!:)
It saddens me to hear of these types of accidents. Hopefully other parents will take notice and take the responsibility to make sure their young riders are recieving proper supervision and training!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
Since I sent in my letter they have removed the part about the push for a federal law banning atv's for children under 16. Hopefully he is researching with the AMA and MSF.

Ivan

:worship: :worship: Ivan, you da man. :thumb:

Excellent letter. There are a lot of things like that coming up these days with flawed statistics. ATV accidents and deaths up 40%. Motorcycle accidents up 35%. Elderly street rider deaths up 44%. But, what they fail to mention is the overall sales in ATV's and motorcycles are up over 100% in the last three years according to the AMA.

So, if you do the math, related injuries and deaths are actually down from previous years. I guess it is up to us to set them straight. Thanks for doing so. ;)

Oh, and don't go by my exact satistics, they may be flawed. :confused:

Ol'89r

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Thanks for fighting for us, Ivan. That is a very well written letter... backing up your statements with facts is the only way to do it. Good job dude. :thumb:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Excuse me... WITH. ;)

Last edited:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Awesome Ivan. I will fire one off to them tonight. The stats you listed is a great touch. Where did you get them? Im not questioning them, but would like to tap that resource for current and future projects we have going on locally.
Dude, you are awesome with the written word.
Glad you're on our side :worship:

Top Bottom