Dirtbikes! Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha??...

stock93

Nov 22, 2001
Hey all, I'm looking at some good used dirtbikes that I could go offroading in. My friend already has a Yamaha TW200, its nice. Now I'm looking into a little better bikes, so far its between Honda CR250, Suzuki RM250, and a Yamaha YZ250, or maybe even a Kawasaki KDX200. They're all used, like 92's/'91's. Mainly I'd be trail riding, nothing to thrilling, but who knows what I might come upon.

I'm looking for mainly quality and reliability, I'm not in the mood to keep fixing it, I wanna just ride.
What's some things I should look for when looking at these bikes? Which do you recommend?? Any insights on the bikes?

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
first of all, none of the bikes you were looking at are off-road bikes. they were made for mx. the kdx might be good though, depending on how old you are, how tall you are, and what your riding experience is like.....
mind filling in the blanks?

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
A KDX is without a doubt probably the bike your looking for. Has a great capacity for great fun without being as high maintence as an MX bike. They can be found CHEAP too. I just saw my old KDX220 get passed on again for $1500. Its only got maybe 50 hours on it, and its in great shape, well maintaned. They have a light, and a gear-box with woods riding in mind, as well as extremely tractable easy to use power, without being disapointing when you lay onto it. Tons of hop-up potential as well, just check out the KDX boards!

stock93

Nov 22, 2001
I am 5'9, 165 pounds, had about 30 minute experience on my friend's TW200. Yes I'm looking for trail riding, but how come these other MX bikes can't be used for the same reason?? They have more problems than trail riding bikes too??

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Those other MX bikes mentioned have much harsher power, and shorter ratio transmissions. This makes for a bike that wants to wheelie or spin a lot easier, a bike that is harder to control in the tight stuff. It also makes for more maintenence, because they are of a higher performance level. MX bikes can be great trail riders, my YZ125 spends a good deal of its time doing exactly that. However, as a beginner, riding a 250 race bike period is unwise, woods, track, your backyard, anywhere. For what your looking to do, the KDX hits the nail on the head.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
if u know wut ur doing, then an mx bike in the trails might be better. but this only comes with experience. for a begginer, it would be too much to handle...

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
30 minutes ride time, boy.....yeah, CR500!

Seriously, stick with the KDX200, get experience, save your pennies and get a newer MX machine in a year or two.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
With a CR/KX/RM/YZ 250 you are going to have a LOUSY time, if you are learning and riding on trails. They are not ment to be just jumped on and ridden without experience, and they are not trail bikes.

You want a Kawasaki KDX 200. Perfect Bike! I am actually thinking about picking one up myself after seeing some what a totally awesome time some guys I know with KDXs have :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…