Dirty brake fluid

eburatti

Apr 4, 2002
When I changed my rear pads on a 92 CR500 last weekend I bled the rear brakes. The fluid came out black, like used motor oil. The fluid in the reservoir was clear, so I'm guessing that the black came from the inside of the caliper cylinder. There are no leaks in the system. The fluid was in there about 1.5 years, and I ride at a motocross track pretty regularly. Is my rear caliper worn out? Any suggestions?

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Brake fluid just changes color with time and wear. I bled mine this past week and the fluid was strange colors. No problems

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Steve is right, the color will change over time and so will it's compressability. Due to the relativly corrosive nature of some fluids they will eat away at the lines. Nothing to be concerned about though it's just the nature of things. The reason that the fluid was clear is a good thing, that says your plunger in your rear brake booster is in good shape and there are no leaks in the system, if it where milky or low(Not due to evaporation) I would be worried about a bad cylender, plunger or leaks.

My .02,
Phillip

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Change it out. Brake fluid is cheap.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…