490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
The front brake on my CRF450 doesn't want to completly release from the disk. I noticed this after replacing the piston and seals on the master cylinder. Now i have completly disassembled and cleaned the caliper, reinstalled everything and bled the system. Pads are fairly new end everything else seems to be in good shape but the brake still wont completly release. What else can i do?

Oh, did i mention hitting a tree?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Did you adjust lever with some freeplay ??

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
check the pins your caliper floats on. If you crashed you may have damaged them and the caliper may be in a bind and not floating to center like it should. Just a thought that comes to mind

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Mech at the honda shop said to check the seals in the caliper and sure enough, one of the seals had appearantly "rolled" in the sealing groove and was binding one of the pistons.
New ones are pretty cheap and im getting really fast at the whole tear down/reassembly/bleeding process, im just a little concerned about all the brake fluid soaking into my skin!

BTW,
I managed to keep the bike on 2 wheels after clipping the tree which completly compressed the B-lever and took the skin off my knuckles.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
mideastrider said:
check the pins your caliper floats on. If you crashed you may have damaged them and the caliper may be in a bind and not floating to center like it should. Just a thought that comes to mind
And get some bark busters, with saw teeth!

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
I have been thinking about the bark busters since i seem to be doing more and more trail riding, finding saw tooth busters might difficult to locate but is something i am game for making.
I found out that one of my caliper seals had bulged out and not rolled like it origionally appeared.

Top Bottom