dirty engine block

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
hi everyone, its been a while since i was on this forum but i have a new bike! this time a yamaha and im pretty happy with it, now the bike was in pretty good condition so i saw a potential to build it into a supermotard. the engine is in the shop for a revision, and i mean everything is being replaced EVERYTHING! now the bikes frame looks new, i even polished the aluminium parts and i have some sm wheels standing ready to be mounted ;) an oversized braking kit and everything it needs to be a worthy sm... now my question is that the engine block is pretty filthy, and i dont mean sand and dirt but its filthy with oil stains no rust or corrosion only grease and oil, i have tried everything to clean those out but the black and gray stains wont go away... is there a way to get those out of the way? the tricky part is that its cast aluminium so its pretty hard to get out, so guys maybe you have some trics to get those out. tahnks in advance

and yet again sorry for my bad english since i'm from belgium

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you can get it there, try Eagle 1 Aluminum/Mag Cleaner (Acid Type).

It's available in the US at most auto parts stores.

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
hmm i heard of that, i will try and look for it, thanks for the reply, i have made a home made sand blaster today and blasted my radiators clean, worked pretty well, could i do this on my engine when its assembled or do i need to take it apart again? i was thinking of filling the inlet and outlet with some paper and taping off the bearings with some duck tape, maybe it works

cheers

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I wouldn't sand blast it.. but that's just me.

The Eagle 1 works pretty good. Just don't use it as everyday cleaner. It does have some pretty harsh acid in it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you have someplace that supplies chemicals for swimming pools, you should be able to get it there.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Soda (baking soda) blasting might be easy on the cases and offer less risk of some REALLY nasty grit causing problems inside.

Mar 18, 2006
Sorry I had to go. I think I bought the muriatic acid at a building supply store in the paint dep't. You have to be careful with it. It is quite powerful. I have had a bottle for a few years, hardly ever use it, but comes in handy sometimes for cleaning something before painting , for example. Get some if you can and try it on an inconspicuous place first. I think you'll like the results.

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
okay thank you guys i will look into it, i just want my bike looking perfect and clean and hope to keep it that way. and in case i dont find annything of those products i will try to sandblast it, after all i have blasted some pieces already like the kick and stuff and they look shiny and new, now lets hope my engine is back soon, stupid thing is that it's over 2000 dollars in price, bugger

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Keep in mid if you can sand blast you can soda blast.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I second Pantsless's suggestion of soda blasting. Don't use sand. Sand will get into places like oil seals and bearings and it will leave a rough, dull surface on cast. Soda blasting is done with an inert commercial type of soda. Not regular baking soda. It will leave a nice looking surface. More like a bead-blasted surface without the danger of sand getting in places it shouldn't. Check out eastwood.com and do a search on soda blasting equipment. If you want to put the sheen back in the cast surface, use some .0000 steel wool.

On your painted surfaces, sand them down with sandpaper to feather edge the nicks and scuff the paint with a scotchbrite pad and repaint it using the factory color, available at your local Yamaha dealer.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I thought muriatic acid eats aluminum. I know when it is used to clean melted aluminum off the inside of a cast cylinder, you are always cautioned not to get it on the aluminum of the cylinder. So I did a google search. I don't believe I would ever try it on aluminum.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2strokerfun said:
I thought muriatic acid eats aluminum. .

It does eat aluminum. It even eats concrete. :yikes: If you use it on aluminum, you have to dilute it with water and be careful not to leave it on for too long or it will etch the aluminum.

Mar 18, 2006
Muriatic acid does eat aluminum! That's why I suggested a weak solution (mixed with water) and then experiment on an inconspicuous place, or even on an aluminum scrap for that matter. It is a time vs concentration of solution thing. It will definitely remove all the white/black oxidization that aluminum shows after time. After hearing about this soda blasting, I bet that would be the best way to start, and then maybe the muriatic acid thing (very carefully) to bring the aluminum back to new-looking. The muriatic acid is fast-acting and powerful, and needs to be thoroughly rinsed with water afterwards. I have used it on aluminum automotive wheels, and it makes them look like new. And i was just wondering if some of that orange cleaner might work (citric acid). Vitamin "C" powder (acetycylic acid) is also an excellent cleaner/de-oxidizer. Elbow grease is usually the best cleaner. Steel wool will eat aluminum too. Watch out for the fumes when using muriatic acid, they are also powerful, and probably toxic.

Mar 18, 2006
Muriatic acid does eat aluminum! That's why I suggested a weak solution (mixed with water) and then experiment on an inconspicuous place, or even on an aluminum scrap for that matter. It is a time vs concentration of solution thing. It will definitely remove all the white/black oxidization that aluminum shows after time. After hearing about this soda blasting, I bet that would be the best way to start, and then maybe the muriatic acid thing (very carefully) to bring the aluminum back to new-looking. The muriatic acid is fast-acting and powerful, and needs to be thoroughly rinsed with water afterwards. I have used it on aluminum automotive wheels, and it makes them look like new. And i was just wondering if some of that orange cleaner might work (citric acid). Vitamin "C" powder (acetycylic acid) is also an excellent cleaner/de-oxidizer. Elbow grease is usually the best cleaner. Steel wool will eat aluminum too. Watch out for the fumes when using muriatic acid, they are also powerful, and probably toxic. :)

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Reading back, you indeed did caution. From I read, combining it with aluminum creates a H gas (of course internet is g-i-g-o). Probably safe enough diluted enough with limited time. We used to use it to etch new concrete tennis courts before painting them (what a PIA job that was). Elbow grease and patience, may indeed, be the best solution but often unpopular in these modern times

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
soda blasting seems beter yes, but where do i get this inert soda? its hard to get around here... it seems almost impossible to make your engine shine as new..

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
xkevenx said:
soda blasting seems beter yes, but where do i get this inert soda? its hard to get around here...

Eastwood.com

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…