CodyY

Aug 5, 2004
I'm looking to swap the front of my IT over to disk. Anybody done this yet. I know the 86's had it and i've got some e-mails out to salvage yards for those parts, but any ideas if TTR or XR parts might swap.

TIA
-Cody

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Hi. What all parts are you looking to swap out? You might want to look on e-Bay for parts. The couple of salvage yards I dealt with quoted me real high prices. I just look on e-Bay now.

One thing to consider is the caliper bolt mounting area on the fork tube. A drum brake bike's fork won't have that. I guess you may have already known that, but I thought I would mention it.

I don't think a front wheel, front fork tubes, complete front disc brake assembly swap would be too hard so long as the fork tubes were the same diameter and travel was close to the same. It might be FrankenBike, but so long as they fit, you could choose from other brands besides Yamaha.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
We did this to a friend's '83 Maico 250 not too long ago.

We pulled the stock front end off, complete, and put it away (it's a vintage Maico, after all) and replaced the whole front end with an inverted WP fork from an '85 KTM 250, complete with full-floating front brake rotor. We used the KTM triple clamps and had a stem machined to mate the KTM parts with the longer Maico head tube. I machined some steering stops for the lower triple clamp to complete the job. With the stock Ohlins rear shock and the inverted WP front end, it looks like one wicked Evolution-era motocrosser now.

It's not dirt-worthy as of yet because the master cylinder needs repaired or replaced and we haven't found a decent Magura replacement, so I can't offer a riding impression. But it should address both the front suspension's shortcomings and also the drum brake issues.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I swapped a complete 85' YZ 125/250/490 front end onto my 84' IT 200. The salvage yard gave me all the parts I would need. The forks and triple clamps were off a YZ 125, the wheel came off of a 490.

It went together so well, I couldn't believe it.

I did this 4 years ago. The parts cost me $250 total.
Neanderthal salvage out of L.A, CA was the shop that helped me out.

Good luck

Top Bottom