Do all bikes die when you brake?

Spike024

Oct 6, 2002
I have a honda xr80r and am going to buy a yz85 in about 1 month. Anyways, if i brake hard on the back brake of my honda, then it kills the engine. If I need to brake hard then I have to pull the clutch in. Its not like I'm coming to a stop and it kills, its when I'm going full speed and hit the brakes. Do all bikes do this? If not all bikes, then does the yz85 do it? Thanks

XR100rRida

Jun 10, 2002
let me get this strait. You hitting the brake without the clutch??? If so then all bikes will stall. Do this with the 85 adn you will lock your back brake up causing it to stall and your back tire to not move. Not sure how to unlock it though. Every bike (with a clutch) will stop when the bake or front brake is hit to the poin were your rpm's go down will stall or lock up. Start using the clutch and this won't happen.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Spike, first, you dont want to lock up your front b/c it will wash out. Second, to answer your question, yes, all bikes with a clutch and lever will die if you lock up the rear. When your braking, try to apply pressure to the back but not so much that it will lock up. If you want to lock up the rear, then just pull in the clutch.

Spike024

Oct 6, 2002
ok, thanks, but i know its not cuz i don't have enough rpm's. I know because I can be going in hi 3rd gear and slam on my back brakes (without the clutch), kill the engine, there be dead silence, slide for 40 maybe 50 feet and let go of the back brake, and the engine will start, in mid 3rd gear.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Spike, locking the back brake up causes the RPM's to go down. It doesnt matter how fast or what gear you are in when this happens. As soon as the rear wheel stops spinning or is forced to stop, it will kill the engine.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
spike. 4-strokes die when locking up the rear easier than 2-strokes. But yes all bikes die when you do this. When the clutch is out the wheel is linked directly to the motor. when the wheel stops so does the motor. the reason the bike fires back up is because when you let the brake off the wheel begins to roll and "bump" starts the motor. you need to learn the technique of keeping one finger on the clutch and feathering it when needed. This will be especially important on the 85 your looking at. Not only will you need to know how to do this when braking you will need to learn how to do this when accelrating on a 2-stroke. It might seem like all you need to do is dump the clutch and twist the throttle but there are time you need to pull the clutch while your already turning the throttle.
It sounds like your riding good enough now where a quality motocross class or clinic will really help your riding. You can read all yo want but practicle application is a different story.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…