sgtrlgrl

Jun 28, 2005
I have an XR 200 with front disc right now( modified with xr250 front end). I am looking at a '04 CRF 230 for $2500. I have seen dealers with it new for $2600. He wants to throw in a headlight set too. I am 5'9, female and have been riding sporadically for 3 years. My XR has some problems. When I've ridden for 2hrs or so it gets really hot, loud, vibrates, and shifts poorly. Like it misses and goes to neutral even out of 2nd gear. I want a new bike but am not ready to get a bigger bike yet. Any body have some thoughts on the 230. Is it reliable also, any known issues to look for? ect? Also, the 230 only has 5hrs at most ride time. practically brand new and no damage.

Last edited:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I've ridden both XR200's and the CRF230 (I'm a bit big for them, but I ride with some women who ride such bikes and sometimes we trade bikes for a bit). The CRF230 is based on the XR200 motor and is very reliable. The bodywork is much more modern and makes it much easier to turn and handle. The electric start is very convenient. I would say that the bikes are similar, but the 230 is a significant improvement. The HRC power up kit (jetting) makes a big difference, I'd recomend it.

There are no issues with the 230 that I know of. As with any bike (especially 4-strokes) its very importaint that the oil is changed often and the filters (oil and air) kept clean and in good condition. It sounds like you are due for a new bike. If you like the XR200 you will love the CRF230. If you want something that offers a bit more performance and is a bit bigger consider a KDX200.

good luck

sgtrlgrl

Jun 28, 2005
Thanks, bought the 230. KDX is going to my next step bike. I have a friend with one and I have ridden in parking lot. Very fun looking. Can't wait to ride my new 230. :)

sgtrlgrl

Jun 28, 2005
Bikepilot, I just reliazed where you are. My best friend is from Stafford. We ride sometimes off Ramouth Church Rd but small trails and not public. Where do you ride up there, or do you get to ride there. Maybe we can get together up there some time. We are in SWVA.

adrenaline420

Feb 17, 2005
if u get the CRF 230, make sure u clean the filter often because a friend of mine seized his 05 CRF 230, and the dealer said it was cuz he never cleaned his filter. plus I rode this bike b4 when it ran, and it is really slow, id get something with more ballz!

sgtrlgrl

Jun 28, 2005
I have only been riding sporadically for 3 years and didn't start until I was 23. I am not ready for more bike yet.

thanks for the info on the filter.

ledkat

Jun 7, 2005
Congratulations on your new bike :cool: !!! I Bought a CRF150 in 03 because 230 is pretty heavy and I hated having to have help picking up my bike. I LOVE my bike, and will keep it even when I get a new bike (hopefully a CRF250X or WRF250 :laugh: ) That said, at 5'9" I am way too tall for it and would give my big toe to have an electric start! I think that the 230 will be a great bike for you!
- Karen
P.S. I wish I had started riding in my twenties! I got my first bike at 32, and after a broken collarbone I realized that I just don't heal like I did when I was younger :think: . ;)

Jul 20, 2005
I love my 230. It was the tallest bike I would fit on at 5'2, and I have rode a lot as an adolencent. I think this bike is great. It keeps up with all my friends, and my husband, who has a 450. Im just glad I decided not to get a yamaha tt125. My friend has that, who is a little shorter, and she cant keep up in 3rd, when I am not even half throttle in 2nd. Lots of fun!! Nice choice :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom