Do I have to use the clutch when I shift?

Chicken Hawk

Sep 7, 2005
I have a brand new 2005 CRF450X. My question is going to sound dumb, but here goes. Do you have to use the clutch for down shifting or up shifting? Is it bad on the transmission not to use the clutch every time you shift? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
TJ

:bang:

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
Depends how you control the throttle when you up shift. Down shifting doesnt hurt the trans if you dont use the clutch but with a brand new bike i would try shifting down when youre in mid to high rpms. Some people dont use their clutch when upshifting but i dont do it so i shouldnt try to explain how they do it.

Searching will yield much more information. Try looking for 'shifting techniques', 'clutch shifting', etc

good luck

Chicken Hawk

Sep 7, 2005
Thanks

I appreciate the advice. It is a pain to use the clutch everytime you shift, but I didn't want to hurt my bike. I appreciate the comments.

TJ

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
If your on a really grippy surface be a little more careful than just baning it up a gear. You can still shift without the clutch, but do it as follows:
1) while under throttle lightly preload the shifter
2) quickly and slighly cut the throttle
3) It should have sliped up a gear when you did #2:)

In general, you can just push up on the shifter and it will go into the next gear without a problem, but its good to know this technique as well (its pretty much the only way to shift a street bike without the clutch and have it last).

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
Gear shiftig.

Hi,
I am using the clutch only for starting with 1-st gear.
You can upshift and downshift without any problem.
Try to feel the shifter.
Some times the mechanism trying to resist when downshifting..
Don't be pushy, rise and drop the throttle then try again.
KR

Optimal

Sep 10, 2005
Nathan Rubin said:
Hi,
I am using the clutch only for starting with 1-st gear.
You can upshift and downshift without any problem.
Try to feel the shifter.
Some times the mechanism trying to resist when downshifting..
Don't be pushy, rise and drop the throttle then try again.
KR
Thats how I am... I just use the clutch when going into first gear.. I usualy when shifting up or down just let off the gas and give it a tap and then go again... Bike is 6 years old and still runs fine so I assume it works lol.

handywork

Sep 5, 2005
Shifting without a clutch is very similar to using a dogbox transmission(car racebox) or using an old road ranger box on trucks.Engine revs are the key.Don`t flat change up without clutch.A short backoff,shift upchange,throttle is not as hard as rev,downchange throttle,rev,downchange.Sounds complicated but it isn`t.Practice at a lower throttle and gradually increase as you become more proficent and comfortable.This type of shift saves time,clutch slip etc in races where a second is a long time.Flat changing is not reducing revs for a change,it`s flat out as the name suggests and is very hard on driveline of cars and bikes.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yes, but its much less sensitive than a road ranger as its a constant mesh tranny, matching rpm's is nice, but not necessary as it is on a road ranger or similar.

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
My nephew mentioned this to me this a couple of months ago, and I've tried it a few times. This is good to know. I always felt I lost a lot of time clutching to shift when playing around at the track. I'll try this next time I'm out.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I was just told I could do this a few months ago, ever since then I don't clutch. I haven't had any problems yet, I guess the bikes were designed for it.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I'm on my 14th dirtbike and have ALWAYS used the clutch. Just felt I would hurt it if I didn't. I ride in the woods where I would imagine you would have even LESS time to shift than on a moto track. I want to point and laugh that people never learned how to use a clutch properly, but am I the one who needs to be laughed at FOR using the clutch??

Do pro riders not use the clutch?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Better riders use the clutch to keep the RPMs up where the power is. When accelerating and shifting up, some transmissions won't let you unless you either back off the throttle or tap the clutch. Backing off the throttle, even for a split second, is the slow way to do it...so, yes, pros use the clutch to upshift.

The fast guys I've talked to use the clutch when downshifting, not because it's easier on the tranny, but rather if they are downshifting, they are on the brakes and don't want the rear wheel to lock and kill the motor. So, they are on the brakes, the clutch, and downshifting while slowing down.

For people who merely putt around, shifting without the clutch is fine.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Just a note: My father -in-law has been a transmission mechanic for 20+ years (cars). He builds and races modified class cars. He also races a CR 125 GO-Kart. He NEVER shifts after the start.

Top Bottom