FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
hello folks,
After a quite small crash i have bent my pipe....it's on the left side (figure a 250 2 stroke pipe) , now it's not too bad but for sure there is some restriction from that particular area...(pipe is touching the frame now) It is possible to damage an 2 stroke engine with a badly dented pipe? And i feel like it's sputtering now at really low speed ??? :(

Can i blame the pipe for that richer feeling of the bike?

thanks

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
How close is the dent to where the pipe intersects the engine? One of the recent dirtbike magazines did a "dent test," and basically determined that dings and dents very close to the engine do cause performance loss, but after the first 6 inches it took a pretty big dent to affect performance in a significant way.

You should still get it fixed, and check it for an air leak (that would definitely cause a performance issue.) In the meantime, here's some reading: http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/pipefix/ The nice thing about this is it gives you the opportunity to get carbon out of the pipe (blowtorch heating), and if your pipe is black in colour, a can of high heat exhaust paint will get it looking nice again.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not sure where in Canada you are but Les at Sargent Sports in Winnipeg can do magic with munched pipes. I took a pipe off my old 86 that I figured was destroyed beyond repair (completely munched) and got it back looking like a stock pipe right off the rack.

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
I am from Quebec,Quebec city, the only shop i know fix dented pipe but cannot fix bent pipe.
It's bent 3 inch far from the engine, Down low my bike run like if the choke was on. (i tried different pilot sizes yesterday...wasn't helping much.and my bike ran fine before i bent the pipe... i have to find someways to unbend the whole left section. And i need to open up as originally the firsts 90 degre section....

There 's not alot of folks from Quebec here i am sure...i prefer not saying that am from Quebec since they want to be apart from the Canada!! It's a shame!!

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I'm from Boisbriand; there are a lot of active Quebecs around. Call a few dealers around Quebec/Beauce and ask them for references for good pipe-fixers. Of course, they'll want to sell you a new pipe, but that's their job.

Top Bottom