YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
I put a relatively small dent in my pipe this past weekend, so I began to think about purchaing a pipe guard. I tend to ride in the nastiest rock gardens on the entire east coast, so more dents are likely. First and foremost, do PipeGurads really work ?? If they work only partially, are they worth the investment for the amount of protection they provide ? I've narrowed my selection down to 2 brands: Maier vs. Moose. The Maier is $10 cheaper at $30, but there is no information about the product. The Moose claims their guards are 3mm thick, and they are the thickest in the industry. Has anyone had experience with eithe of these products ?

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The ones you refer help a LITTLE. If you want real protection get an Eline Pipe gaurd.:)

Chugger

Nov 7, 2000
I think a guard at least looks cooler than a dinged up pipe. As far a preventative, sometimes. You won't get the little dings cause by gravel on those nice smooth pipes!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I used to have a Maier type guard on my 250 and it worked fine. No dents after I installed it.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I have used E-Line and Moose pipe guards. If I were just trying to prevent dents from roost, the E-Line guard would be all I would use. On my old bike I used the E-Line guard and crashed hard enough to pull the pipe away from the cylinder, bend the pipe mounting tabs and put a crease in the pipe near the stinger. On my current bike I installed a Moose pipe guard. My first ride in New England rocks bent the pipe completely out of shape close to the header completely changing the low-end power delivery, no dents though. I've since installed a thicker wall pipe with the Moose pipe guard. Small hits are absorbed by the guard and not transferred to the pipe.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I made my own pipe guard, wich is looks very similer to the e line guard. I made it outta fibre glass for under $15 CDN. Canadian Dave gave me the directions so if your interested in making one, try e mailing him. It holds up real well and never had a dent since puting it on. Cheap alternative to carbon fiber and I betcha holds up just as well too.

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
fatty_k,
I would like to hear about the fibre glass. I bought a similar product used at a bike shop, it looked like carbon fibre but was fibre glass. I has held up real well to all kinds of rocks and hits. I would like to know how to make them, I dont know who makes this one, maybe it was hand made too. Mine is 2 pieces and hasnt bent the pipe from big impacts.

I also got a moose pipe snake or whatever, they work pretty good. Especiallyt for rock dents and such. They collect too much mud though.

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
Who carries E-Line products on-line ?? I can't seem to locate an E-line pipe guard via my normal on-line mail order web sites. I just want to compare price and specifications to that of the Maier and Moose products.

By the way, I'm looking for pipe protection from the "Get Off" type wipe out's as opposed to "Roost". This past weekend I was navigating a rocky downhill when my front wheel slid out from under me. It was a relatively slow speed crash, but the bike slid about 6 feet down the hill :scream: . When I picked the bike up, I had a relatively shallow dent, but it was about 3 inches square across the fat section of the pipe :eek:. I'm wondering if a quality pipe guard would have prevented such damage.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom