Dont Miss This !

andymstevens

Mar 10, 2000
THIS WILL MAKE YOU ANGRY!
Chapter 11 of NAFTA basically hands your money to corporations....even when they're poisoning you!

Bill Moyers Reports: Trading Democracy

PBS – find out when this will show in your area!

PBS stations will be hosting a documentary that you might want to take time to see. Bill Moyers Reports: Trading Democracy will air on PBS stations across the country.

This hour-long program explores what's been called an 'end run around the Constitution.' It reveals how corporate investors are using an obscure provision in the North American Free Trade Agreement to challenge U.S. laws, regulations and jury verdicts -- arguing those challenges before international trade tribunals that rule in secret -- and winning.

The program examines the secret tribunals that are changing the laws of our country -all thanks to NAFTA. There's an in-depth look at the MTBE case in California (where the US is being sued for $970 million US because California removed a carcinogen from gasoline) … Metalclad - the case where Mexico had to pay $16 million US to a company that never had a permit to reopen a toxic waste dump, but won because that cost them potential profits … and the case of Loewen Group, the Canadian funeral company that lost a civil case for $125 million in Mississippi and now is suing the government for $750 million.

this info was borrowed from the speer website for boeing employees.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I would take something regarding free trade that I read on a Union web site with a grain of salt. It still sounds intriguing, though. I will have to try to catch it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Ditto Spanky.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I saw that too and i couldn't believe it. It was a loophole that protected foreign investments. It went something to the fact that if a a company produced a product,and a govt. baned that product in their country, you could sue the govt for loss of profits that you could have made. It goes both ways, the US was screwing over poor mexicans that refused to let a US company to open a toxic waste dump, so they sued the mexican govt. for lost profits and won a setttlement for 16M. In canada, the govt wanted to take out an additive to gasoline that a US refinery was making that was harful to peoples health, and when the canadian govt. wanted to ban it, the US company threatened to sue them. Another one was when the canadian govt wanted to do something to cigarette package warnings and the Big Tobacco companies here threatened to sue.

andymstevens

Mar 10, 2000
Thanks for the backup Casper. Yeah, pollute...but, when we tell you to stop killing our citizens we'll have to pay you because you may lose money! It's outrageous!

I couldn't believe the one about UPS bringing a lawsuit against the Canadian Package Delivery System because it's unfair competition to them.

How about all the companies lining up behind the Freedom of America NAFTA expansion that is on the way?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Ross Perot wasn't so crazy after all. I have never liked NAFTA but there was some big money pushing for it. I'm more concerned with keeping LEGAL immagration and shutting down ILLEGAL immagration.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom