Down teeth to smooth out 1st & 2nd?

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Setting up my CR for woods. Sending out for Eric's porting tomorrow on top end.

Currently have a 54 tooth rear.. should I go down teeth to smooth out 1st and 2nd for woods riding? I want to be able to get more use out of my lower gears but still have 3rd and 4th for more open areas.

Thanks,
Hawk

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
Personally i would wait until you see how the bike runs with the new porting before i would worry about gear selection.If your looking for a wider gear ratio then i would drop two in the back, and see how that does.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Getting porting work for top end and wanting to ride woods should never be used in the same sentence. I you want to rides woods then why wouldn't you have some work done for the bottom end since that is where you will spend the most time?

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
He was saying that he is having port work done to the topend of the motor. Im sure eric is porting for lowend. :cool:

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
GarbatyA4 said:
Buy a 4-stroke for the woods.

Amen to that, but you got to remember there's times when you cant always get that bike you want right at that instant. So you work with what you got ;)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
As said, I would wait until riding your newly ported motor. You may find that adding one-maybe two teeth to the rear will be all you need. Too many teeth on the rear means a VERY busy left foot (lower gearing tightens the gap between gears too... a lot)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…