rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
man I have allot of time on a 00400exc, and 01 400sx
and I have an 02 520 sx.
This is just my opinion but I cant figure out why they put a 5th and 6th in the 400sx.
To use it in the woods one would have to gear the bike down so far that anything below 4th would be unusable.
5th and 6th are like overdrive in a car.
Even on th exc those gears are meant for going from reset to reset or down a road. On the mx track 3rd and 4th are all I use except on the 400sx I get into 2nd sometimes. Treat your rfs like an automatic and use 3rd and 4th and you will smooth out and rip.
I quess if you are racing desert it would work.
If you can run out of motor on a 520 or even a 400 you shoul be full blown pro rider.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
All depends on where you live!:)

I see 6th in the desert on my 520 all the time! :p AND I'M NO PRO. There are places crossing valleys and sand washes were you can use all the speed you can stand.... Everyone halls bacon... The Pro's can do it in the rough stuff!:confused:

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Actually, I live out east and use the upper gears of my '01 400sx all the time. I geared the bike down one in front and up two in the back for two reasons. The first is to make it easier in the really tight and nasty eastern woods stuff. The second is because the bike wouldn't pull 6th or even 5th really well. When I ride in the mountains there are some snowmobile trails that are wide open and allow me to run the bike to the rev limiter in 6th (with the lower gearing). BTW, I'm only a VET B off-roader! One down side of the lower gearing is that it doesn't seem to pull as far in the lower gears as it did with stock gearing. I may have to look at the various transmission combinations to see if I can put together my own custom gearbox!

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I was at an Ohio enduro in November and I was tapped out in 6th several times. I never thought I'd use 6th on my 400EXC in a woods race. Sure was nice to have it there to use. I'd rather have it and not use it often than not have it and want it, personally. I had a 98 380MXC and it ran out of top end way too soon with that close ratio 5 speed.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
Jeb, you must have been hauling !$@!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I used 5th one time in a race I was real scared....:scream:

The best part of the 6 speed is the versatility.....I love chuggin down those fireroads at an enduro and all my buddies on 2 strokes are revving to the moon trying to keep up:)

Coach

Top Bottom