thebreeze64

Dec 11, 2008
Hey all I've been ridin since, well lets just say a long time. My youngest wants a bike he's ten and extremely aggresive.I've been looking at the DR-Z125 and the TTR110. The DR-z is a bit on the tall side for him were the TTR would fit real well. I don't like the fact that the TTR does'nt have a clutch but thats about my only problem with it for a beginner. I have also heard that the DR-z is real torchy but on the suzuki web site says it has a controllable power band (what the heck does that mean) can I turn it back so he can build up to it at full strength. I know its a pretty large cc bike to start on but the sizes of the 50s-80cc bikes are so small that my old GT80 would be about the same size as a 100-125cc these days. Money is a big issue so I wan't something he can grow with and not outgrow in a few months as he improves as a rider. The 50-80ccs are so small he would look like the clown on a 6" bicycle. What say you!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
if he can handle learning a clutch, and can even slightly touch on the DRZ, I'd go for the 125. It will last longer as he grows.

I started my boy on the TTR90 (same size as the 110) and he rode the wheels off it, finally being large enough that it just wasn't safe for him anymore, and adapted (slowly but surely) to the TTR125.

Now, of course, after three years on the 125 I'm going to have to find a full size bike for him. :|

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
I started out on a DRZ125L and i liked it... But the ttr125 is smaller and has electric start, and you do know the DRZ125 comes in large tires and smaller tires??

May 10, 2007
any reason why you arent looking at a crf or xr 100? they are great bikes that are seem like the right size and have a clutch. they are also bulletproof so what you pick it up for you can probably sell it for about the same.

Dec 7, 2008
if i were to get him a bike i would get him a cr yz rm kx 85 the 85 is smaller more powerful than the ttr 110 and it has a clutch and he would not grow out of it until he is 13-15 and u can get one for 1300 on craigslist

if you dont get a 85 then get him a honda crf150r it is as tall as the 85 but it could be to much power

Gravity Worx

Dec 10, 2008
I think the XR type option.
They can be picked up for not too much $$$ and as you said, money is an issue.
They are about as reliable as a hammer, have the clutch, so that will be good for the learning the proper way.
Maintenence isn't terrible on them.

All in all, I think a great beginner's bike.
Just my 2 cents

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
a two stroke 80/85/100 would not be a proper beginner bike. If the kid shows promise, then maybe, otherwise I'd stick with a DRZ/TTR/KLX 125 or an XR/CRF 80/100 and let the kid discover the enjoyment of dirt bikes.

thebreeze64

Dec 11, 2008
flyingfuzzball said:
any reason why you arent looking at a crf or xr 100? they are great bikes that are seem like the right size and have a clutch. they are also bulletproof so what you pick it up for you can probably sell it for about the same.

I have been looking at brands I have ridin in my past. Thanks for the slap I actually like the specs on the smaller CRF80 the height is in between the DRZ and TTR plus has a clutch. IMOO I don't know why they make a bike without a clutch if your going to ride you might as well learn right from te get go. :bang:

thebreeze64

Dec 11, 2008
only_mixed_gas said:
if i were to get him a bike i would get him a cr yz rm kx 85 the 85 is smaller more powerful than the ttr 110 and it has a clutch and he would not grow out of it until he is 13-15 and u can get one for 1300 on craigslist

if you dont get a 85 then get him a honda crf150r it is as tall as the 85 but it could be to much power

Yea now your talking my language I know two strokes but for a starter bike I'm afraid the power band would have him spending more time seeing the rear fender than the handle bars. My father learned that the hard way. I had a 77 RM100 I had the bike for quite a while. had it bored out 4 times and made some sproket changes. I had gotten married and he wanted to sell it to this boy for his first bike. Hell I had to nearly sit on the tank to keep it down. Well, he sold it to this boy against my advice and on the first ride he met a barbed wire fence "OUCHY" Between the powerband and that big old Weisco piston that bike would eat some dirt, God I miss that bike. :(

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm gonna suggest the xr80. It's a smaller bike that will inspire some confidence rather than scare him off. Most kids feel much more comfortable when they can touch the ground with both feet. Once he gets the hang of riding a smaller bike and using a clutch you can sell the little xr for dang near what you paid for it and step him up to a higher strung bike. Not to mention the cost of upkeep is significantly lower on an xr than a 2 stroke 80/85. All you need to do is change the oil ocassionally and clean the air filter every once in a while.

Just remember, the last thing you want to do is scare the kid and make him not want to ride.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Gravity Worx said:
Fact.
I did that to my wife and it took a few years to get her to even want to ride again.
same here. Honda mini-trail. And she still doesn't want to ride. :|

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
I vote for the crf 80 or 100 as well. I use to ride with my buddies kid. I was on my old cr250r and him on his crf100.....and I tell you what. We did MANY pretty nasty hill climbs together and that darn bike had NO trouble on bigger obstacles. It crawled right up the hills. It's got some strength and its still mild mannered in its delivery of power. great little bike. and when he went to a kdx 200....his dad sold it for $100 less than what he paid for it! :cool:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom