podia

Aug 31, 2000
So, I got a headache problem now.

From the bottom of the bike, I can see that the crankcase is
only about 2mm thick. And the internal parts of the bike is only
2-3mm away from the crankcase!

Why is the engine crankcase nowsaday so thin and near the internal parts of the bike. I'm gonna bring it to the shop to have the hole weld back and re-tap a new drain hole.

Furthermore, the drain hole is so near to the side of the crankcase(near the other case)

What I worry now is what are the percentage that after the welding, can hold on how much longer? I know the crankcase is expensive! Please help! :ugg:

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
The crankcases are so thin becuase of weight probably, they arent supposed to be durable against rocks and the ground; thats what skid plates are for. If too much heat is put on the cases by a torch, then they will warp in that spot, causing the two halves of the cases to not properly seal in that area, causing you to leak oil.
How did the the drain nut get ripped off, from casing a jump??
If there is a hole in your case that needs to be welded, then you'll probably be better off buying a new half.

podia

Aug 31, 2000
Thanks for the reply Glitch, I case it pretty badly.

Think I will get it welded back and will get a replacement
in future. Thanks again! :thumb:

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
The same d.... s.... happened to my old bike. Solution was to cover the hole with appropriated plastic sealant, and change the oil from the clutch cover. It's a lot of work, but save you the money of a new case, if the oil plug is the only problem.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
I overtightened my plug and stripped the threads on the case, bought a self-tapping bolt for $2 and put that bad boy in for a quick and easy fix.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
"What I worry now is what are the percentage that after the welding, can hold on how much longer? " "I case it pretty badly."

quit Mangling the english language!!(couldn't resist, sorry!)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
hey, give the guy a break! How fluent are you in Brazillian?

RGalesi, I suggest you don't try to weld this. Things could get ugly real fast.

Option 1:
Helicoil the hole. I'm not sure if this will work without looking at your bike.

Option 2:
Clean the area very well with solvent or brake cleaner and use an epoxy product like JB weld on it...filling in the hole. Use an alternative method to change oil, such as the clutch cover.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
MotoMetal, thanks for the defense, but we speak Portuguese here in Brazil. The language "Brazilian" actually doesn't exist.

It looks weird for me that some americans make fun out of people that doesn't speak fluent english... I'm personally fluent in portuguese (of course), spanish, (what I found out to be some sort of) english, italian and I do know some french... I thought I was doing good so far...

But that's OK!!! We are all here to have fun!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom