joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
While searching for info I found your post on another site, so here it is:

"I hope you folks will check this out, and come have a great time.

Unfortunately, the Ride4Kids off-road event at Aonia Pass. has been abolished. There was an injury at the last event, and a rather rash decision to end the event was made. Even though similar injuries have occured at other events {that werent abolished}.

Sam Shaw, organizer of that event, has found another charity that welcomes the off-road community. It is called Dream House for Medically Fragile Kids. The goal is to take children with no families, or negligent families, out of hospital wards. These kids have differing medical problems, ones that wouldnt necessarily require them to be inpatients.

They would be moved to a home, where their medical needs can be taken care of, and enjoy the benefits of a caring atmosphere, instead of a cold, sterile hospital atmosphere.
At this home, adoptive and foster families will receive training in how to care for the child's specific medical needs. This will help ensure that the kids go into a loving home that is prepared to meet their physical and emotional needs, and less chance that the child will need further hospitalization. The program is designed so that a child should be there for no more than 1 year.

The ride will be on April 25, 2004, at the Aonia Pass MX Track. The minimum donation for entry is $35.00 Soon there will be a flyer available. If you will send an email to me at ob1quixote@aol.com , I will email the flyer to you, in PDF format. Please share this info with other riders, clubs and dealers.

Of course, I would expect y'all to want more info on the charity. Their website is www.dreamhouseforkids.org
Check them out, there is a lot of information there.

DH4K is a federal 501(c) charity. you can check out their standing with the state of Georgia, at www.sos.state.ga.us/securities/charitysearch.htm . Check it out for yourself. They run a tight ship, 13% overhead as I recall.

Definitely NOT a "Pennies to the problem, Porsche to the president" charity.

Come support this great cause, and have a great time at the first Dream House for Kids Family Fun Ride, at Aonia Pass MX Park, Washington Georgia, on April 25, 2004.

Robert "

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
joereitman said:
could not open it properly... Just gibberish.
What version of Adobe are you running? i have Reader 6.0
I checked the link during preview and it opened for me

I can email you the PDF file direct. Drop me an email at familyriderssc@aol.com subject line "flyer" and I will send it along!

Robert

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
My better half and the kids go out of town for a couple days starting April 26. I will be stuck at home- too much to do at work! So I am a little up in the air about this ride, but I REALLY want to make it... Sounds like a great event, and the track is AWESOME for those of you that have not ridden it. See HLG's recent ride report including helmetcam. Following is a ride report I posted somewhere else in November, FWIW:

My 6 year old son and I rode Aonia yesterday. He liked the pee wee track with its smooth hardpack, banked turns and numerous jumps. He rides a modified PW 80. I ride an 03 KX250 which I bought in late July after a 22 year break from MX.

I stepped off all the doubles on the big track, and they were all 10 to 15 paces, mostly 12 to 14 (about 36-42'). Takeoff ramps were generally a bit smaller than some of Monroe's doubles, so most of the jumps were lower and took a bit more speed and throttle, at least for me.

The front straight in front of the bleachers contained 2 tables, the first one easy to clear in 3rd, the 2nd one a little harder to clear. They both had steep enough launch to get you up in the air a good bit. Next is a fallaway type jump going to the left, which leads into several singles, then a RH turn which begins an ess turn that is pretty fast if you keep the inside line to keep up speed. Next is a single that leads into a double that I had to hit hard in 3rd, still had a hard time consistently clearing it cleanly- need to hit it even harder.

Next is a LH turn with a nice outside groove, followed by 6 whoops that the faster guys were blitzing, skipping from top of one bump to the next, although I saw a few guys rhythm jumping through. I chose a slowish version of the blitzing style, as whoops are not my strength. Next is a sweeping RH turn into 2 doubles. I easily cleared them as long as I was hard on it in 3rd. When I did not cleanly clear I rebound bounced some, but generally all the landings are forgiving.

Next is a double onto a tabletop, only about 25' gap, I hit it in the middle of 3rd, but if you hit it hard in 3rd you could clear the tabletop, I did not try that (I am 37 years old and know my limits...). There is then a straight with 2 small jumps that slow you down before the table into the next RH turn. There is a good outside groove through the turn that lets you quickly get into 3rd for the double out of the turn and the two 3rd gear doubles that follow. The last double is challenging, due to a mild takeoff ramp for the high landing and the very short braking zone after the landing before the RH turn following. I usually barely cleared the last double, then stabbed the brakes and pitched it into the turn.

The following straight leads into a small double at the far end, which requires truning in the air to line up for the LH turn. I usually jumped it a little short, barely clearing, so I could make the LH turn. There is a small table immediately out of the turn, then 2 small doubles, the first of which has a very mild launch which means you have to be hard on it to clear. After the doubles is a loose turn with some soft grooves, I chose the middle one to get me lined up for the following table, a mild 3rd gear jump, that leads into a RH turn leading into a 5 whoop section. The outside line had a good groove that lined me up to rhythm jump the whoops. I jumped the first and second pair and singled the last. One of the faster guys double tripled the whoops, very fast. Next is a flat LH turn into a single which drops off into a very soft powdery RH turn. This turn required some focus, since it was so loose. The turn exits into a single then a pair of small 3rd gear doubles, followed by the front section tables.

The track was wide and well groomed (sawdust and/or mulch tilled in I think), lots of passing room and lines throughout. They watered it as soon as it started getting dusty. The pee wee riders and slower 85 riders stayed off the track, which kept things a lot safer than other tracks I have ridden. No ATV's were there either. The riders were a mix of novice and experienced, and there was enough room on the track so riders were safely spaced apart. The entrance and exit were separate, and well controlled with fencing to prevent unsafe track entry/exit.

We left at 4 so I did not get a chance to ride the SX track. I understand they have 13 miles of trails too. Bathrooms were clean. Staff was friendly. Other riders were courteous, usually stopping for fallen riders. Track was easy to get to- only 55 minutes from mile marker 113 on I-20. We had a blast. This was the nicest MX track and facility I have been to (we also ride Durhamtown often, and rode Monroe 2 weeks ago). I highly recommend it. :)

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
there is a good helmet cam footage of Aonia and other places at
www.goatkreations.com

With dialup, its slooooooow!!!

Srry to hear you will be busy, heck, my finances may keep me home....its a long trip, I will burn about 2-3 weeks fuel under normal day to day use! Still waiting for that economy to turn around....

But its still a quality organization, and well worth my support and legwork, hopefully others will jump on board!!!

Y'all dont let the fact that the illustrious Joe may not make it, or even myself {I'm sure that wont be a problem!} keep you from a good event for a great cause!!

Robert

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
My better half has given me permission to go as long as I take Matt too!

ps- as of 4-6 weeks ago the goat videos were just the old counterclockwise direction- have they put up a new one?

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
I have only run there counterclockwise, have they changed it?
the goatkreations video is counterclockwise.

Glad you got the Kitchen Pass!!
I hope to make DH4K and the Cherokee Junior Enduro, keeping my fingers crossed.
What I need is a sponsorship deal for my daughter's racing!!!

Robert

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
My wife is the sole source of reasonable spending activities. For some reason, she doesnt feel dirtbike riding/racing is necessary. She was saying something about a mortgage, I told her I didnt know what the gauge measured or where I could mount it on my bike. She was less than enthusiastic with that reply!!

Robert

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
Blue???? In my yard, "Ride blue, get chewed" is the rule! My wolf has a thing for blue plastic....LOL just kidding, but this is a Red household!!

She can ride any of the fleet. I put her on the '83 CR480 once, come to think of it that was the last time she rode....maybe she hit the powerband??

LOL

Robert

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
The Ride could use a helping hand, before and during the event. Before the event, trail work is needed. During the event, MX and Trail marshalls are needed. Volunteers will work in shifts, so that there will be plenty of time to ride and enjoy yourselves!

www.dreamhouse.dyndns.org

Please email Sam Shaw at sam_shaw@NOSPAMmindspring.com if you can help.

He needs a volunteer headcount, to be sure all the bases are covered.

See y'all there {hopefully?!?}

Robert

Top Bottom