Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. In 37% of Americans the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger. Even mild dehydration will slow one's metabolism as much as 3%. One glass of water shuts down hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study. Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or printed page. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

This memo came from our Safety Dept. I knew drinking water was important, but some of the #'s here are a little shocking. Just thought I'd share. :thumb:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I don't drink as much as I should, but about a 1 year or so ago I had to not drink sodas for a dotor related thing for about a week. At the end of the time I just kept on going and it was about 6 months before I drank one again. Now I might drink one a week or so. I try to drink as much water as I can. If I'm at work I make at least 4 trips or more to the water cooler with a 12 oz. cup. I still don't think that I take in enough, as that number drops for the weekend unless I ride then its 45 oz or more just while riding. I even take my camelbak in the winter. I see a lot of guy not carrying theirs in the winter. Its very important to drink extra water when being active.

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
I am one of those that suffers from headache and fatigue during the day if I am dehydrated. I notice a signficant difference in how I feel. I notice even more in the gym or on the bike. I agree that people often mistake some of their problems that stem from dehydration. I hydrate b immediately drinking 16oz as soon as I get up and eat breakfast before work. Then 2-3 20 oz bottles during work. Then drink a bottle or two during my weight training. That usually does it for me. If I slack off, I really feel it.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
While in complete agreement that you should drink a sufficient amount of water during the day, I was very surprised to learn that you can actually die from a water overdose. Forget what the condition is called, but a 4 year-old girl died after her deranged parents forced her to drink tons of water as punishment.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
I was very surprised to learn that you can actually die from a water overdose.

For an adult, that would require guzzling down water as fast as you can i.e. gallons per day and even then it would result in other symptoms far before being fatal. No-one in their right mind will voluntarily drink enough water to develop symptoms if they also eat normally.

One indication of being properly hydrated is that your urine is pretty much clear.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
in the summer here, i can drink around 5 or 6 litres of water a day if i'm working outside. i have been told that drinking that much water flushes toxins out of your system and makes you feel better generally. i know it does for me.

how much is 8-10 glasses a day? they should give us a quantity.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
I was very surprised to learn that you can actually die from a water overdose. Forget what the condition is called

It might be Cellular Homeostasis or in laymans terms a balance of water and electrolyte at a cellular level. By drinking too much water you can flush most if not all nutriants from your body.

The major electrolytes are as follows:
sodium (Na+)
potassium (K+)
chloride (Cl-)
calcium (Ca2+)
magnesium (Mg2+)
bicarbonate (HCO3-)
phosphate (PO42-)
sulfate (SO42-)

Electrolytes are important because they are what your cells (esspecially nerve, heart, muscle) use to maintain voltages across their cell membranes and to carry electrical impulses (nerve impulses, muscle contractions) across themselves and to other cells. Your kidneys work to keep the electrolyte concentrations in your blood constant, despite changes in your body. For example, when you exercise heavily, you lose electrolytes in your sweat, particularly sodium and potassium. These electrolytes must be replaced to keep the electrolyte concentrations of your body fluids constant. So, many sports drinks have sodium chloride or potassium chloride added to them. They also have sugar and flavorings to provide your body with extra energy and to make the drink taste better. For those of us that don't drink sports drinks, electolyte levels are easily maintained through proper eating habits.

Last edited:

azcab

May 6, 2001
The story about the girl dying is true and was a result of the sodium (?) level in her blood dropping so far so fast that she fell into a comatosed state and later died... As stated above, I think that would be near impossible to do without some deranged parents forcing you to do it. I drink approx. 100oz. day and always drink 50 or so ounces bfore riding and then sip on my 100oz. camelback all day while riding. Can't bring enough water on a ride. Dehydration is not pretty.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
LO fricking L, I don't know where to start. Those are some pretty big statements coming from nonnephrologists, guys.

It all harkens back to the day when that dumb broad Orthopedist from UCSF went into spontaneous remission from Breast Cancer, then went around telling everyone water was the cure for everything under the sun, including Breast Cancer. I personally called her up and chewed her ass for as long as she could take it. She knew absolutely nothing. Nothing. Orthopedic doctors--strong as an ox, twice as smart, lol.

:thumb:

Back to the topic. NO ONE NEEDS to drink excessive amounts of water except stone formers. Healthy kidneys are PERFECT, and are able to change urine concentration over a very broad range from 50mOsm to approximately 1200mOsm, to keep PLASMA OSMOLALITY "tight" in a range from 285-295mOsm/L. What happens when you don't drink enough water? Your neurohypophyseal neurons sense MINUTE changes in plasma osmolality, and when the pOSM goes up even 2Osms, ADH is kicked out of the posterior pituitary, goes to the distal convoluted tubule, interacts with ADH receptors, which basically open channels (complex) in the urine flow side of the tubule to maximize free H2O reabsorption. The resulting drop in plasma Osmolality suppresses ADH (Vasopressin). The lack of ADH causes polyuria and a free water diuresis, raising pOsm, and on and on. These changes are likened to a feedback loop, not too dissimilar in concept from EFI with an O2 sensor in closed loop operation.

It also turns out that when the Blood Pressure drops, teleologically associated with volume depletion (dehydration), ADH is released. Now, in association with a host of other compounds like Angiotensin II, which stimulates Aldosterone release from the adrenal glands, etc., etc. ADH, and thus AII seem to be the major stimulators of thirst drive. ADH now pathologically is acting to reabsorb free water "too much" or "pathologically" in hypotensive conditions, and hyponatremia results (low Serum Sodium). This is why most REALLY volume depleted patients have hyponatremia.

ADH release causes distal tubular free water reabsorption, thus concentrating the urine (in humans, maximally to 1200mOsm) and ADH suppression (as occurs due to beer/EtOH) results in free water diuresis, diluting urine maximally (in humans, 50mOsm). What's this mean? Well, how much urine do you need to make? You need to make enough urine within the range of renal concentrating and diluting capacity to be able to rid yourself of your daily osmolar load. If you eat 300mOsm worth of solute (dietary), a maximally concentrated urine can rid these Osms in 300mOsm/1200mOsm/L equals 250cc of maximally concentrated urine. Given 500cc insensible water loss (sweat, stool, breath), that's about 750cc or .75L of po water intake per 24 hours to maintain pOsm in normal range. On the other end of the scale, if one drinks gallons of water, ADH is suppressed and urine is maximally dilute at 50mOsm. Therefore, their urine output to rid 300mOsm of solute is 300mOsm/50mOsm/L or 6Liters of urine. Again, with .5-1L of insensible water loss, you're looking at that person drinking about 6.5 to 7L of water.

So what happens when you drink TOO much water. Let's say you drink 15L of water and only have a solute load of 150mOsm. Everyone's in steady state, so what you take in, you've got to get rid of. However, now you've overwhelmed to kidney's capacity to maximally dilute urine and you end up with horrific free water retention. This state does NOT lead to volume overload, since volume status (extracellular fluid) is reflected only by the physical exam, but the body's free water content is typically determined by the serum Na. Hyponatremia ensues, and if severe enough, as correctly stated before, can result in death. Hyponatremia causes the ECF to "think" there's too much ICF osmolality (since Na rarely resides in the ICF), water follows its concentration gradient, goes INTO cells, causes cellular swelling (particularly brain), and results in seizures, arrhythmias and if severe enough--brain swelling and UNCAL (brainstem) herniation with death.

People who drink too much water chronically, have maximally dilute urines and chronic hyponatremia, are characterized as having "psychogenic polydipsia". They typically have severe psychological problems.

People who eat very little solute, drink a ton of alcohol and wash their medullary concentration gradient away, have chronic hyponatremia, isosthenuric urines (mid-concentration 300mOsm, eg) and are characterized as having "beerpotomania". These people don't eat enough solute, so they can't even generate a urea concentration medullary gradient (due to low urea generation rates and high urine flow rates--another long story), so they have serum-like urine concentrations and are at risk of both dehydration and easy water overload since their spectrum of concentration capability is now 300-400 mOsm instead of 50-1200mOsm.

The girl above died of water intoxication.

Kangaroo rats have kidneys that can generate urines in the 2400mOsm range. So what's that mean? You guessed it. THEY DRINK NO water. NONE. They don't have to, because they generate enough water from the metabolism of carbohydrates CHx---to CO2 & H2O to keep their serum Osm acceptable. To the best of my knowledge, they don't die of breast cancer from water deprivation. They also are obvioiusly desert dwellers. If you catch one drinking something, I'd like to see a pic. You can email it to me.

What's water good for?

1) constipation

2) stone formers

3) control of hunger (sometimes)

Sorry, the kidney's just too damn smart, and it doesn't need YOUR help. It can take care of itself just fine, thanks. Sorry if I hurt any feelings or offended anyone. That's about 1% of what I know on this topic, so fire away. :thumb:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by nephron
... ADH release causes distal tubular free water reabsorption, thus concentrating the urine (in humans, maximally to 1200mOsm) and ADH suppression (as occurs due to beer/EtOH) results in free water diuresis, diluting urine maximally (in humans, 50mOsm).

... That's about 1% of what I know on this topic, so fire away. :thumb:
Nephron - You lost me at "PLASMA OSMOLALITY". I give.... "Uncle!"

;)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Good one, Irish.

I didn't know that. What's water, again? :think:

Hey Rich, you know that gasoline stuff? That's a combustible substance that you burn in your engine. Thought you'd like to know that. :thumb:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by nephron

I didn't know that. What's water, again? :think:

bclapham could answer this better but I'll give it a go. Water or H2o is rather prevalent substance found throughout the universe and here on Earth. As a matter of fact it covers roughly 2/3rd's of the Earths surface, coincidently it is about the same ratio in the human body. Quite an interesting fact wouldn't you think?

Water is primariley two Hydrogen molecules covalently bonded to one molecule of oxygen.

Water has the honor of being part of a short list of substances in the various temperatures available to your average person, that can be grouped in all three physical states; gas, liquid and solid.

Chemistry 101 is now over :) :thumb:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
lol

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Nephron, not surprisingly, you lost me about three sentences in.... :think:

I am a little confused though...are you saying that proper hydration is not important? ...and how much is required for proper hydration?

I know that when I was doing a lot of mtbing, I could feel the difference between being adequately hydrated and dehydrated after about the first hour of the ride...was this purely "placebo effect"?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom