kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
can I have your advice on it:Two monts ago i putted a new front sproket ,mxz racing chain and pbr rear sproket on my bike.I adjust my chain 2 time since that.Now my front sproket is really wear like a banana.Chain and rear sproket are like new.My ratio is 13-48.I bought a new front sproket and a new circlip should i put that in place or change all? Thank you I am not an expert (like you see) :silly: Thanks

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The chain must have been an old one. Are you certain all three items were new? Are you lubricating? Are you CERTAIN that they are lined up correctly? Are you adjusting the chain according to the manual?
THis is a very uncommon event when things are right.
I suggest you not buy anything yet until you get this sorted out.

(Vous aurez besoin d'acheter un nouvel ensemble. Attendez jusqu'à ce que vous savez pourquoi la première dent a été usée.)

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hi phil ,that is strange???just the front?as jaybird said check alignment and adjustment.could that sprocket just have been made of poor quality material?(defective)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have noticed that you have stated types for the chain and rear sprocket but not the front. Is it possible that you ordered a cheap front sprocket and the rest of the system a better grade? the front sprocket will see more work on it than the other parts simply because it is so small. every thirteenth tooth it is back to the first tooth as opposed to 100+links of the chain or the 48 teeth of the rear sprocket. Although 2 months is a very short term and I would definately look at any misalignment or misadjustment problems as previosly stated. The idea of only one wearing extremely fast and the others show very little wear is intriguing. I tend to believe that if it was a poor installation problem you will see wear every where BUT the front will see the brunt of it . check the whole system well.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
thanks.In fact I have about 30-35 hours on my kit.My front sproket is also a PBR .It is in tempered steel.My chain is a no o-ring 110 links.I adjust my chain in accordance whith my manual shop (50-60mm for extreme muddy condition)maby To slack? 4 fingers between chain and rear of the chain slipper?is this the problem?I ve cheked my alignement .It is seem to be ok.BTW if you kwow a good way to ckeck it let me know please.

Jaybird, chain was brand new i am 100%sure. :D

at this point should i just put my new sproket that i have already in my garage, and see what happens .

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
too check alignment you can measure from the pivot point of the swingarm to the axle of the rear wheel and make sure they are the sameon both sides, or you can lay a stright edge<down here itsa yard stick I guess for you it would be a metre stick?> just lay it on top of both sprockets down on the rollers of the chain in between the side plates and eyeball the side plates to make sure they are following straight up the straight edge.

chack your manual for chain slack I personally use 3 fingers like you use four but I have fat fingers. ;)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
heh you should of seen my my wife shaking her head as I am trying to look at the picture from different angles lol :o

yes the teeth looked hook and worn although the one kinda looks like it might be bent. Possible rock taking a free ride thru the chain and sprockets fouling you up?

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i was wonderin if it was a debris problem?good point jmics i removed the plastic cover on the sprocket so it wouldn't collect garbage in there. hey jmics (jim) remember me dennis in ny? we first spoke when my bud had his kdx stolen.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
hey how you doing? been a bit since we changed emails yeah I know I am lousy at correspndence heh but usually in my case no news is good news. Going to see if I can send you a link to some pictures me and a buddy took whne we went out so chesk your email .

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Here is the problem with mounting a new front with the old stuff. It will be trash soon too. You have a stretched chain. It is past working limits and is showing this by deforming your sprocket teeth. All three items need to be replaced. If all things are kosher, and you lubricate properly, you should be able to get at least as many hours as you have on that set-up. Problem is when one item is off a bit, it can cause problems with the whole thing.
If you did in fact have a rock bend one of the front teeth, then this bent tooth can transfer uneven wear around the chain. This is a vicious circle that has no good end. One bad tooth can cause several bad links, several bad links can cause several bad teeth, and on and on and on....

Changing just one item of the set-up is a waste of money and time. It is all trash now.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
thank you for all your replies.This forum really help me.

I will buy a new chain and sproket kit cauz my setup is correctly aligned.

take care.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
phil good luck let me know how u make out .jim cool pics i almost went to paragon it didn't work out.some of that stuff looks uh...ummm tough .lots a mud water n rocks was it fun

Top Bottom