Drn Carb Jetting Clinic March 28

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
On March 28th from 5-10pm I'll be hosting a Carb Jetting Clinic at TUF Racing's new indoor motocross practise facility, located in Waterman Illinois, about 1 hour straight west of downtown Chicago on the corners of RT30 and RT23.
Theres no charge for the clinic but there is a fee for practise. Its $30 for 5 hours, and the one time membership (annual) is $30.
I'll be providing one on one assistance in carb tuning starting with a systems check of your bike, and instruction in the Ride and Feel jetting method. I'll even show you how to disassemble, clean, inspect, and troubleshoot your carb but parts are extra.
This is a minibikedad friendly clinic so bring your frustrations and we'll try to work them out :thumb:

Last edited:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Ummm, Waterman Illinois...

Total Estimated Time: 25 hours, 31 minutes
Total Distance: 1570.40 miles

So far away...
Wish I could be there, sounds like fun!

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I share the disappointment as well Faded:whiner: Wish I could be there, I have wished to meet Eric and ask his expertice for sometime now on jetting.

WIthumper

Apr 4, 2001
Eric,
If I just wanted to bring my bike to the clinic to have you help me with my jetting, do I need to pay the practice and annual fee?

Thanks!

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
WIThumper,
This new practise facility is an incredible place. Dave Antolak and Ron Downen spent a half a million dollars to renovate a former US Gov. grain storage warehouse into a premier year-round indoor practise facility. Just like any race track, its subject to insurance regulations. Everybody who wants to ride there must sign-up for the annual membership fee, thats basically an insurance premium that protects you and the owners of the facility. I bought a membership and I will pay my $30 to ride and help people jet their bikes for free on Friday March 28th. The only guys who get in for free are Dave and Ron, because they both coughed up a quarter of a million each.

I'm doing the jetting clinic to help promote it, and get it going strong because I beleive that northern Illinois needs a reliable, safe, practise track like this.
The track opens on February 24th, I can't wait to ride!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Hey Eric can you take a camera and then post a few pics. If we have another winter like this i'll have too make the drive up there! Thanks Steve

filteredsoul

Jan 8, 2002
This is really cool for us Midwesterners. I'm so used to seeing all the moto-stuff happening out in SoCal! You can imagine my suprise when I see this hand's-on jetting and practice session happening right in my backyard. I'll definately be there. Is there a registration for this event or do I just show up with my bike and $30? What do you recommend I do before I get there and realize I have some small engine / reed / seal / problem and I won't be able to take full advantage of the class? I'll be bringing my camera and a FAT memory card so I can try to capture the event for those not able to attend. I'll need help posting them tho... Mucho thanks to Eric and the folks providing this (what I think is invaluable...) class!

Mario

Feb 20, 2003
Hi, I am in the Isle of Man so can't quite pop down ! but would love to know more about jetting etc. I have (well my son does) a HM 50 CRX and want to know if even these small machines can benefit from different jets etc. Do you have any tuning tips for this bike or 50cc's in general?

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Filteredsoul, I understand your concerns about your bike being in good enough shape to take advantage for the 5 hours of riding and there are some tips listed on my site for diagnosing mechanical vs. jetting problems. You can also call Dan, the technician at TUF and bring your bike over for a quick check. Dan's number is 1-815-756-3588, he works in service.

Mario, you live on the world's coolest and longest motorcycle race track. Shoot I'm dam near ready to book a plane ticket to come over and jet your bike for free during the race week. Since I was a little kid I've dreamed about going to see that race, and ride the course in the early morning.
To answer your question yes small displacement bikes can benefit from jetting because they have so little power to start with so every little bit counts. My suggestion for you, if you and your son are beginners to motorcycles, get yourself a range of 3 spark plugs with hotter heat ranges. For example is the bike uses a NGK B9ES, get a B8ES, B7ES & B6ES If the engine runs better with a hot plug set your jets leaner. If it runs better with a colder plug set the jets richer. Good luck

LEE BAXTER

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2002
To Eric
I am jealous of what you are doing in Illinois because this sort of thing never happens here in the UK. I own a 2000 kx 125 and wanted to know if the plug trick would work for me also . Do I change the jetting till it runs best on the standard plug ? Thanks .

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Lee, there is an article posted on my site about carb tuning using tyhe ride and feel method. Basically you pick one of the three main circuit; pilot/solw jet, needle clip position, and main jet. Then just try going richer or leaner one step at a time until it runs better. You can also use the choke to make it run richer to give an indication if the engine wants more fuel. You can engage the choke knob just slightly to make the mixture much richer. Don't be afraid of blowing the engine up by just changing 1 size at a time. It will give you plenty of warning with pinging or bogging. Good luck

For the rest of you guys, I just checked out the new place on Friday, the official name is Waterman International Raceway. Its an excellent track, not your typical supercross. It is very wide at 25ft everywhere. There are two distinct lines, one for experts and one for everybody else. The jumps are all safe and there are no blind spots. The lighting is unique with straight down and angled spots. The dirt used is posh, absoluetly no rocks, the watering system prevents dust, and the most interesting feature is a stae of the art carbon monoxide detection system that controls a ventilation and make up air system. Besides the main track there is a peewee track for the kids.

The facility is set to open any day now and I encourage you guys to check it out :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…