gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm a 40 yr old desk jockey getting back into off road riding after a 20+ yr absence. I dont' need/want an all out MX bike but I still have the balls to ride hard. A KDX seems to be the perfect option for me.

For a 'reintroduction' bike would it make any difference to look at an E vs an H? Any *big* pros or cons for either?

PS: Anyone want to buy a 140 MPH Harley Sportster?

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Sorry, don't understand, what do you mean by E and H?

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
E models are 89-94; H models are 95-03.

I have one of each in my garage. If you can swing it, go for an H model. Two reasons. 1 aftermarket parts and parts in general are easier to find for the H model since they're still in production. 2. The H model feels a little lighter due to the thinner mid section and better fram geometry.

Having said all of that, an E model is a fine bike. They can be restored to pristine condition and make excellant trail bikes. I've ridden with a couple of guys who totally rip on their E model KDXs.

Good luck.

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Ahh I get it... never had a 200 or 220. My 250 is a D model I think.

A friend just bought a 2002 220 and he hasn't ridden for twenty plus years. He's quickly adapted to it and will likely have to put a pipe on it next year for more ooomph.

Other pals with modified 220's simply fly, as fast or faster than my 250 (not stock).

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I have a '91 that I have restored and it's a great bike. A little work to the engine and suspension and it's a first-rate woods/trail bike. I gave my bike a unique look (purple frame & bars, updated graphics, number plate, nickel PC pipe, etc) and most people just have to ask what it is because it's so different. I plan to purchase a WR250F this winter and I wouldn't even think of selling my KDX. It's that much fun.

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Gary, gotta picture?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I do. Let me dig one up (at at work now) and I'll attach it later.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
My new riding partner is just figuring out his new PW80 so, I'm in no hurry. I'll do some serious bargain hunting and try to find an E model for less than $2000. I figure fall/winter is a good for cheap bikes.

The local Kwak dealer does have a new one for $3599 tho........

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Your new riding partner would probably love for you to ride with him and that'll mean he'll be able to go further & try new stuff ;)
Check out the for sale forum on here too, as there are often KDX's there. Don't forget to buy yourself & riding buddy all the safety gear too, so take that into account when you're setting your budget.
And yip, you should be happy with the KDX until you get the orange bug (seems to be the progression around here).
Have fun and let us know what you get & how you enjoy it :)
Michelle

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Right now I've got an '85 125 Suzu quad (POS) that's stranded me once, tried to two more times, and rolled my butt down a hill. But it was free so it'll do whilst I'm shopping. Jesse (my boy) has done real well riding it and even climbing some small hills. He's still getting the hang of two wheels but I'm a firm believer that two are better than four.

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Hey Crim... my riding buddy also has a pw 80. What a great little bike. Have you popped out the "speed control" washer in the exhaust pipe? Incredible difference, now he sticks it in 2nd most of the time and that's sufficient (for now).

My KDX 250 is so peaky (fairly heavily modified) that it's a little tricky to ride with him... always hunting between 1st and 2nd when riding with him and end up loading up sometimes. Recommend that your next KDX can putt in 1st and 2nd without gurgling as it's kinda difficult with my bike.

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Yeah Bruce, I just popped the exhaust restrictor out last week. It climbs hills much better w/out it. Though the bike is perfect sized for my boy, I'm affraid he'll run out of engine before he out grows the bike. I haven't seen any aftermarket pipes etc. so we'll just have to deal with it as is........ until I break out the die grinder and port the jug a bit. Maybe shave the head a little too.....

Poor kid's doomed to be a gearhead!

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
You should easily be able to find an E model for less than $2k. Look on e-bay right now! I've seen several nice H models go for this price as well. I perfer the riding position of me E though so I'll probably never upgrade.

My buddy just bought a '92 with 30, yes thirty, miles on it for $1200.

I paid $1600 for mine and it had all the common hop-ups already done and came with full set of Thor gear and alpinestar tech8's for $1600 at the end of last winter...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom