E series Kdx200 output shaft seal

EYY

May 22, 2010
Hi guys, does anybody know if the output shaft seal on an E series kdx200 can be installed without disassembling the engine?

Thanks for any help :cool:

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Should be no problem. Remove the sprocket, lay the bike down on it's right side and use a seal puller. Check the O ring that is behind the spacer too. It might need replacing. Then carefully tap the new seal into place. :cool:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Yes. Lean it over, or oil will spill out. I have pulled one before with an exhaust spring puller. You may want to go ahead and replace the collar and circlip, as well as the one or two o-rings that are in there.

EYY

May 22, 2010
I'm actually in the middle of completely rebuilding the engine at the moment, and wanted to know this because the seals aren't due to arrive until next week. And i've been planning to get as much done as possible on the bike before then.

Reepicheep, a friend considered his leaking output shaft seal as a chain oiler once... that was, until he realised that the constant oiling plus the dust and dirt from riding made for a grinding compound and his chain wore out extremely quickly haha. :nod: Was it you who recently moved from a klr250 to a kdx? I've just done exactly the same thing, but i havent ridden mine yet and it's been 4 months... I can't wait to get it finished! :yikes:

Thanks again

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Yup! The KLR was a fun grocery getter, but I have a Ulysses now, which is an even more fun grocery getter. And the KDX on the dirt is just a match made in heaven. You will love it, especially coming from the KLR.

I guess I should fix my output shaft seal... it's making a mess on the garage floor anyway, and the bike looks silly parked on newspapers. :)

sdpenton211

Sep 3, 2008
dont use a screwdriver to take it out. i tried and chipped the engine and had to weld the chipped peice back in. if the seal is bad replace it but if the spacer has ridges in it then just replace that instead

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
O-rings

glad2ride said:
Yes. Lean it over, or oil will spill out. I have pulled one before with an exhaust spring puller. You may want to go ahead and replace the collar and circlip, as well as the one or two o-rings that are in there.

O-rings alone cured my 1991 E-3 leak.

The new ones did not look even slightly different.

Pretty close tolerance that wears slightly over time I guess.

Got lucky I guess not to have to mess with the actual seal.

(yet)
:whoa:

cmskdx

Oct 13, 2010
does the spacer sit in front of the seal with the oring in betweenthe two? does the seal tap in until it is flush with the motor?

EYY

May 22, 2010
Don't tap the seal in too far, as there is nothing to prevent it from being pushed too far in and contacting the bearing. Flush with the case should be fine.

First, the o ring is pushed onto the shaft to seal between the shaft and the collar.

Once the seal is installed, you can insert the collar(the chamfered end faces the o ring) over the shaft and into the seal.

Top Bottom