eliminating fork dive, but plush suspension

tmoney

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2002
What's the concept behind setting up the forks to be plush but not diving under breaking? How is this achieved conceptually? I'm not asking for any specific setups. I've just spent some time revalving my compression stack for a more plush ride by removing some of the shims Yamaha doubled up this year on the 250f, however, I'm a little worried about increased frontend dive. I really like the bike to sit up, not dive excessively, but still be plush in the fast/rocky/roots. Any help out there for a novice thats not afraid to get into the forks. Thanks.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I am not an expert by any means, but IMO, the best compromise for a woods bike is to have relatively little high speed compression damping, but keep the low speed damping relatively more firm.

My feeling is that fork dive under braking is more of a low speed damping situation. Rocks and roots are a high speed damping situation. So you should be able to have a plush ride in the rocks (with light high speed damping) and avoid excessive fork dive (relatively firmer low speed damping).

Most small jumps you will find in the woods are a 'low speed' damping, and you don't want to be blowing through your travel too easily on those or you will be really out of shape on the big hits.

Last edited:

maco

Apr 16, 2003
I'm not an expert either,Trailrider will confirm this=Hi trailrider,but I understand your riding terrain to require a fast speed compression.That way the wheel reacts faster to roots ,rocks,steps encountered on woods trails.Tralrider could have a point if your front sag is off then springs might be a problem.The diving thing is not good and that has to be worked out.I went through that with dampening rod forks until I went to emulators.No more diving.I also wnet a step up on fork springs but ther progressive not straight.If your like me you won't be satisfied until your sure you have the best suspension possible.First off I would make sure both the front and rear sag were rightfor your weight.Then esperiment with your external and internal valving.Bottom line you should be able to fix the problem.Good luck

Rob Reid

Oct 8, 2002
my opinion is to resist the load placed whilst under breaking u must increase spring rate, damping changes will only slow the inevitable dive

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom