buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
I am in the process of purchasing a 6x12 enclosed trailer to haul bikes in. I am interested in hearing any suggestions from DRN members on how to set up things on the inside (ie bench, toolbox, etc.). My trailer will not be a V-nose but the rounded type with a side door. Thanks in advance! ;) :cool:

buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks to both SR KX Rider and WHYZEE on the suggestions...
WHYZEE your trailer looks great and I do have a few questions as follows:
a) What size is your trailer?
b) The side paneling and wood appears to be treated yet the floor is not?
c) What exactly are the round, "disc like" hooks on the side?
d) Do your lights run off your trailer lights or do you have a 12 Volt Battery in the trailer itself?

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
buckeyebilly said:
a) What size is your trailer?
b) The side paneling and wood appears to be treated yet the floor is not?
c) What exactly are the round, "disc like" hooks on the side?
d) Do your lights run off your trailer lights or do you have a 12 Volt Battery in the trailer itself?
  • it's a 7 x 12
  • I have two coats of marine poly on the walls and ceiling, so many coats on the counter top I can't remember. The floor will eventually be cleaned and rino-lined, I plan on running this up the walls about 12 inches. The ramp is going to get a layer of diamond plate
  • D-hooks, used to hold tie down's, and other things. They lay down flat when not in use. I have also built a table also that folds out over the wheel fenders, mortised to go over the running lights and hold its self in place. (I'll take some pic's soon) I use the trailer for work also so the extra D-rings hold tools and material as well.
  • The lights are run to switches, I have a set of floods that fold out to illuminate the area behind the trailer as well as the interior ceiling lights. They currently tie into the electrical system of the trailer wiring harness but the plan is to add a marine battery and tie it into the charging system through the wiring harness. I want to add two lighter type outlets in the walls, for a voltage converter. (playstation / 7" video screen)
    we sleep in the trailer during overnight riding trips.

Hope I've been of help. :cool:

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
size required depends on the number of bikes you plan to carry. I currently have a 6x12 tandam-axel pace that i carry 4-bikes in. crf450, xt225, ttr125, xr70. I am using bike boots and the bikes are all straight in. As my son moves to a larger bike - I will have to put them in diagonal to get 4 full size bikes in there. With either a 7' wide or a 14' long you could fit 4 bikes straight in.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
agreed on the searches, lots of good info here

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Whyzee..... thats the nicest, for it's practicality, trailer I think I have ever seen..... sure there are fancier trailers out there, but you'd never want to use it for work then.... eeeeeeexxxxccccceeeeellllleeeeenntttt job on the trailer....

where did you get those stainless steel 'troughs', for lack of a better word? I need some for my trailer (which isn't as nicely laid out as yours!!! (yet... lol)

buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
Another nice trailer MX-727... Thank you for sharing the pictures with me. I am getting some good ideas! By the way what size of trailer is that?

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
How did you get the aluminum flooring down MX-727? I want to put something on the floor of my trailer to protect the wood before it get beat up any more, but outside of painting some kind of sealant on the floor I'm lost.

Hey buckeyebilly, here's a company that my trailer dealer stocks parts from --might be somethin useful....

RB Components

Some of the stuff in the catalog looks pretty good but I'm not sure how it compares with other manufactureres in terms of price/quality (the stuff in the shop looked good to me though).

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I pulled the bottom row of trim and plywood off of the walls, took out the bike shoes and tie down rings and took the door sills off the floor. Cut the aluminum to fit and welded the seams between pieces. Put all of the hardware back in. Most of the aluminum isn't really fastened to the floor, but since it is a single welded piece, held on all of the edges by the walls and sill guards, and the bike shoes are bolted through it, it can't move.

buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
The RB Components Website posted by MADEARTHWORM has some very nice stuff. The designs are well thought and appear to be durable. Some of the stuff may be able to be reproduced using wood? Thanks for the referral!

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
I purchased a bunch of aluminum products for my trailer from a guy off e-bay. 30-40% off of price of pitpal or RB stuff and better quality... I bought one of every thing he has - great stuff and fast shipment...

Search for username - "creativetrailer" to find his stuff. Or if you search on "race cabinet" or "sprint cabinet", you will usually hit on some of his items.

- jeff

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Think twice about diamond plate ramps!
Ever load in the rain? Diamond plate gets real slippery. I have a toy a hauler with diamond plate. Dry its great. Wet its a pain in the as...! (Although the toy hauler has quite bit more rise per foot). I can get 5 bikes in my 6 x 12 (3 forward, 2 backwards) when I use that and not the t/h.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I have tie down rings set in a false floor- laid on top of the original floor - that way I did not have to drill holes in the trailer- I put threaded metal inserts in the floor to bolt the chocks down- when I haul my lawn tractor I can pull the chocks off and the rings foild down into the floor so the floor is completely flush. Whne the floor is chewd up too bad I can replace it. - 3/4 " wplmanized plywood. Also nice you can install all teh hardware in the floor and then drop it into teh trailer- a few wood screws into the floor and it is not going anywhere

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Agree with Zoomer on the ramp. I used expanded metal for the ramp. The other benefit is that dirt and mud fall through the ramp and the grating tends to pull the muck off the tires before the bikes go in the trailer.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Chili said:
I bought a 6x12 less than a month ago, I'm already thinking I wish I hadn't cheaped out and opted for the model without brakes.

i did the same thing. i wanted to go as light as possible since i'm pulling with a 4.6. i bought a single axle, 6x12, without brakes. i'll keep this trailer as it is otherwise quite satisfactory but i'll go with a 5.4 in my next truck.

Top Bottom