Homer371

Jan 5, 2003
When going down long desert hills I always have the clutch out for extra engine braking. I'm talking about singletrack trails with lots of switchbacks where it might take 7-10 minutes of closed throttle operation to get to the bottom. Does the engine braking put a strain on the engine or make it starve for oil? If the pilot jet is correct for normal operation will that suffice, or should I go up a size?

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I always thought that the best way to manage a 2 stroke was to keep it running. It probably is not running when going down hill and using the engine for braking. There is less heat and a good amount of residual oil during a downhill run so the engine generally survives. That said I believe that the load on the bearings are just as high downhill as when running, so lubrication is still an issue. I suggest trying to keep it lubricated with throttle blips and good management. I am not a fan of improper jetting, expecially if it is WAY too rich.

Chris

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
What you're doing is fine. If you're bike is not loading up or fouling the plug on the long descent, and the engine pulls cleanly when you get back on the gas at the bottom of the hill, the pilot jet is fine.

Leave it alone and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom