plangone

Apr 5, 2004
My CR250 has some serious bottom end issues, maybe a bent crank. I am getting an estimate from a local shop to rebuilt the engine, but I was wondering what other options are out there:

Are there places that sell complete, reman engines, like they do for cars?

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
your crank is not really bent it just needs bearings.your local dealer is your best bet to do this work or any good 2-stroke bike shop with the proper equipment to press the crank apart and to get it back together straight.depending on what bearings did what they need to check the crankends for wear and replace them also as needed.no matter which bearings are bad have the mains replaced as well as the crank bearing,if it was time for one to go out the others are not farbehind and like apples one bad one will spoil the whole bunch.i would also have them replace all the trans bearings and all the seals. when they do the crank bearing they replace the connecting rod so i would mate it up with a new top end wrist pin bearings and piston you will end up with a new motor.on a 2-stroke this type of work is the longend of basic mantaince and is done all the time by shops.i have done lots of posts that talk about the advantages of doing all of your bus. with the same shop one hand washes the other and this is true with a good shop.so get to know not only the parts guy but the guys in the back turning the wrenches you will benifit from that.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
You can buy a complete engine from Service Honda , sometimes you can only get "parts engines " , if so , it will have to be assembled...

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
If the local shop doesn't work out for you. I would definately recommend Eric Gorr's shop. He can do the whole engine if you want. I did my top end over the winter, very fair prices and turn around wasn't long at all. You might be looking at longer turnaround times as the season is starting. He'll be getting my bottom end next winter.

Hope this helps. Steve.

Top Bottom