Eric--Cast or Forged Pistons??? For a 2-Stroke

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Hi Eric,
I was hoping you could give your expert opinion on the case for cast vs. forged pistons (pro-x vs. wiseco) for a 2 stroke. I have a 2000 KDX 220. I have been warned off of wiseco by a local motorcycle machinist and a high-performance shop in Califirnia. They believed it would not last as long and would be more likely to sieze or rattle. On the other hand, I have heard reports of stock pistons (Pro-x seemingly does not make a 220 piston) cracking in 220's, so I am rather puzzled by all of this. Would appreciate your advice. Thanks

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
try a search on wiseco or forged or cast, there are several threads on this issue.

despite what anyone says, pistons need to be changed more often than what most of us do. In my opinion, whatever piston is used if it is properly installed, maintained and changed at reasonable intervals then this give more insurance against siezing or shattering then the type of piston!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The vast majority of the engines that pass through Eric's shop leave with Wiseco forged pistons. It's not a coincidence.

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Thanks for the replies, I am still hoping to hear from Eric himself. A couple of the issues in my scenerio have not been addressed in previous discussions, and most certainly not "beat to death". As well, its not that I can't read what we all say about in past discussions, the point is I was hoping to hear what Eric has to say.RICH, your reply did shed some light on what Eric might say, thanks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom