Eric Gorr, modified, RM250 a pain to start

customfab

Aug 7, 2005
So I've got a highly modified 2001 RM250. It has Eric Gorr head work (all around power tune), bored to 265 cc and about every after market bolt-on accessoary you can buy. Very nice bike. Problem is, this thing is a major PITA to start. I'm not a novice to bike either. It takes literally a perfect kick to get this thing started. I frequently bruise my foot attempting (I've torn holes in the soles of 3 motocross boots!!!) & no one else can get it started (all my "experienced" friends try to no avail). It is almost like kicking over a CR500 but worse! Luckily, I'm 6'5", 210lb so I use my weight to help get a good kick, altough it never starts cold without a dozen or more kicks.

I'm about to kick this thing to the curb. I've tuned it twice in the last few months, just in case. Once started, the bike has power everywhere, runs great, and plugs look perfect.

Can anyone think of a valid reason why a bike would be a major bitch to start but then run great? I was thinking maybe an ignition issue or weak spark (looked to be ok by me & has awesome power when running). I'm looking for suggestions to troubleshoot. I've emailed Eric a few times and haven't gotten any responses. I've got too much damn money is this thing to hate it. My foot is too tired.... :bang:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What is your starting proceedure? I ask because I previously had a KTM360 with the #1 head which could be a rather big PITA to start. Once I learned a proceedure much like a four stroke it was a piece of cake.
-MX boots only.
-Fuel on
-Choke on
-Neutral
-Nice slow push through to TDC
-Bring it up to top travel on the kick lever
-Nice solid push down with a twist of the throttle
-9.5 out of 10 times it fired right up.

I have heard rumors that AJ when he's had a big meal and is dripping wet goes about #150 and he fires off 500's in flip flops. I've actually seen him use his patented double kick with about 100% reliability so who knows for sure.

If your bike really is THAT difficult to start you should look at making sure everything is within spec and you have the freshest fuel available. Old stale fuel can make any bike a real bear to start.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
customfab said:
I was thinking maybe an ignition issue or weak spark (looked to be ok by me

What exactly does that mean? If you are looking at a spark by kicking it over with the plug removed and grounded you are checking your eye sight not the ignition. It sounds like it could be an ignition problem. The place to start would be grabbing a digital multimeter and the service manual and run through the factory ignition troubleshooting procedure. While you are at it pulling the carb and cleaning the choke/enricher circuit and verifying the pilot circuit is clear would be worthwhile as well.

Start with the basics and don't assume they are correct until you test them.

Think FACTS :

Fuel, Air, Compression, Timing, Spark

verify each, and make sure they function properly and the engine doesn't have much choice but to start.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
^ what he said....

KX_OUTLAW

Feb 7, 2010
Kick it two times, take the spark plug out. See if it's wet or dry. My guess would be wet. Possibly from a leaky float valve or lack of ignition to fire it off.

wayfastwilly

Dec 29, 2005
Im gonna say check ignition also. My 135lb 14yr old races a 01 rm 250 with a eric gore 265 and though its harder to kick than stock, he can fire his off in a couple kicks. :) PS and yeah, its a bad ass ride! It pulls 450s down the straights. :yikes: OH YEAH! quit emailing and call Eric G. he is more than happy to talk you through your issue. He always has with me.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Worn, chipped or cracked reeds can make cold two stroke nearly impossible to start.

If the problem has gradually gotten worse and the bike has good compression/fresh top end, I would suspect the reeds.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you have to get a hold of Eric, pick up the phone. But, I have to emphasize the float valve change. Try kicking it as usual, then take the pipe off, or turn the bike over and see if its full of fuel. Most of the time you will not see fuel puking out the carb. It will run great, but be a pain to start, just like my old rm400. Right down to the hole in the boot, have you broke any kick starters yet? And I have verified it the same way. Eric will tell you, its a yearly replaced item. Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
have you broke any kick starters yet? And I have verified it the same way. Eric will tell you, its a yearly replaced item. Vintage Bob

:nod: The kick starter broke within a week after my old RM got the 265 kit. Might be coincidence but I don't know.....

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Kick starter fix

I was breaking my kick starter every month until I did this.

Attachments

• Kickstarter stress relief1.jpg
    Kickstarter stress relief1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 498

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
What does filing the radius do besides allowing the kickstart to pivot back further?
Geeze if anything mine needs a bead welded on it from wearing kickin mine over!
I usually kick it slowly a few times until the kickstart can be at its highest position,
then just give it all I got and it should fire in a few kicks!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
1998RM250 said:
What does filing the radius do besides allowing the kickstart to pivot back further?
Geeze if anything mine needs a bead welded on it from wearing kickin mine over!
I usually kick it slowly a few times until the kickstart can be at its highest position,
then just give it all I got and it should fire in a few kicks!
It is a stress relief. The sharp corner is where all of the stress is concentrated and the radius lets the stress "flow" around the corner.

Now, if it is breaking where it hits the foot peg, this won't help at all.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Mine cracked around the stud. The warning sign was when the kicker started rubbing the frame guard. Luckily that thing was easy as pie to start, never more than a few kicks. If I remember correctly I think the jetting was pretty close to stock.

Top Bottom