Eric Gorr- Overisze Bore Question

TNUTT

Jul 18, 2002
I have 2002 Honda CR125. I am considering the 144cc kit. I read one of the tuners on a board said you can't do this due to the exhaust port. I am running a Boyesen rad valve and an FMF sst pipe with a shortened stock silencer. Would an over-bore require me to change this set-up?

I am a beginner 125 about 185lbs, riding gp's and thinking of doing some desert racing. I would like to run 91 octane (premium pump gas). Would the 144cc give me a little more on the bottom making the bike easier for me to ride? Would this give it more of broader power band like a 250- i am not the type to ride wide open? What if any downfalls are there with doing a 144 conversion?

Why is it the piston and rings need to be change more often?
This would cost $375? If i were to do this in june of july what would the turn-around time be?
Thanks for any information

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Here are some answers:

Some quick points about my (Eric's) 58mm 144cc kits for 125s, the cylinder can be ported for more mid to top but piston and ring maintenance needs to be more frequent with 5 hrs. for rings and 10 hrs. for piston kits. The replacement piston kits are $85 and that includes ring, pin, and clips. Spare rings are $12 each. Our 58mm piston kits are made for all brands and models of 125s made since about 1989.

Price for the first go-around:

1989-2003 CR125/150 (133-144cc) $375

I think the 144 kit ported for more low to mid and pump gas would be what you're after since you don't ride wide open and are looking for a stronger wider powerband.

www.eric-gorr.com for more...

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
No problem TNUTT. Eric is really busy, but he is also very accomodating. Give him a call to see how long he'll need your stuff. In my opinion it is very well worth the wait.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Make sure this is what you want. The maintence on your bike will be hard to handle if you race your bike almost every weekend. I had a 99 kx 125 done by eric and although i was very happy with the results. I went thru clutches alot faster and pistons and ring at an alarmaing rate. Also went thru 2"cranks in about a 1 1/2 years. I got the low to mid porting and it defientely was not what I wanted. The bike had such a hit in bottom that it would be great for an arenacross or supercross, but for outdoor applications i was always running out of steam. The bike had no over rev at all. Just make sure you know what you want. Eric gave me exactly what I asked for. I f I would go bakc in time I would ask for all top.

Erik

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I'm surprised to hear you guys talk about durability being reduced after the big bore kit. I've had a chance to race the whole 2002 season on a EG cr133 and it wasn't any harder on the piston/ring maintenance than a stocker.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Also I did compare two different cylinders: one EG cr133 "mid-top" against one EG cr133 "more better everywhere". I found the more better everywhere to be the one I like most because you could feel a much improved response in the low-mid transition while keeping much of the overrev.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I don't think a big bore is for you. I would just trade up to a 250 personally, and if you aren't happy with the bottom end then send out the jug for porting.

I can't base it on experience living on the east coast, but don't most of the dune guys run 250s and 500s?

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
If you take your 125 to the dunes around here (St. Anthony, ID) they'll have you :whiner: . The 250s fair pretty good, but the more ccs the better. On a soft day most 250s won't climb half the stuff out here. The sand is a tough test, one that some do not pass.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by Faded
The sand is a tough test, one that some do not pass.

LOL sounds so 'epic'. 

Don't discount the idea of trading up.  It's fun to modify and all but you have the chance to trade up to a fully engineered package that hundreds of hours have been devoted to.  :yeehaw:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom