eric gorr's mo-better everywhere porting

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
do any of you guys have any porting work done to your 250's by eric gorr? i am curious about the mo-better everywhere porting service because i am thinking about making a switch from a 250 four stroke to a 250 two because of the maintenace that is required with the four stroke. the problem i have is i find the 250 two stroke to have to much of hard hit and i think this porting service might help me, but i want to hear from others who have had this porting work done to there bikes to see what there opinions are, so please if you have any information for me it would be greatly appreciated.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Definately worth it. I had it done to my 94 YZ250 that has a brutal mid range hit stock and it broadened and smoothed out the powerband signifigantly.

Steve

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding steve. does the bike have any sort of a hit after the porting work? was there any changes made to your jetting after the porting work?

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
There is no hit at all the power comes on right away and goes until the pipe signs off(FMF Gnarly).I had him do the big bore kit as well and I'm still working out the jetting. I'm finding with the work done on mine I have to lean it out a bit.

Steve

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding again steve. this porting sounds exactly what i am looking for, i dont want a hit at all, i want a broad, ultra smooth powerband out of a two stroke. did eric recommend the fmf gnarly pipe?

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
No he didn't recommend any pipe but my stock pipe needed replacing a few months after I had the work done. The stock pipe came on a little later(still on the bottom but not as low) and revved out farther on the top but still smooth. I went with the Gnarly because I tend to lug the engine and use the torque to tractor through stuff(I ride tight Washington trails) and to keep the rear tire under control. I would be much better of on a 4 stroke trail bike but this is what I have so I'm modifying it for trail work. So far it's been successful just need to get the jetting dialed in. BTW what kind of riding do you do?

Steve

john3_16

May 17, 2004
I've ridden bikes ported by Eric Gorr....Before and after being ported...I'm sure he can pretty much get you what you're looking for out of your motor.

It was back in 93' and it was a 93 CR250..It had great power stock...With the mods the motor was seamless....However, it had much more power and torque feel...You could go into a corner a gear too high and just roll on the throttle and brrrraaaapppp! Normally you would have to clutch it to get on the power but the torque was increased so that you could pull a higher gear with ease...From bottom to top the motor pulled nice and strong!

Remember...The power may be seamless, but it can also get to be too much to handle for some....I can recommend Eric Gorr for sure....Because the motor he modded that I rode could be ridden sloppy and lazy and it would still get you out of trouble.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I have the Mo power from Eric and it is exactly that! I can't say there isn't a hit but it is nothing compared to what it was stock or on other modified motors that I've run. You will be very pleased.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thank you all for responding. i am a novice mxer and i sometimes i ride woods but not to often anymore. the biggest thing i am after is smooth power, almost four stroke like power. i have ridden 250f's for past two years(yzf,crf) and i like the performance it get from them but i am tired of the accelerated maintenance schedule and the nervous feeling about my engine blowing up unexpectedly. i almost bought a ktm 200sx instead of my crf but i let my one friend talk me out of the two stroke, i shouldnt have listened to him. over the winter i am going to try to save up and buy a used 250 two stroke, maybe one that is a couple years old and get the mo-better porting done to it by eric gorr.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I've read Eric can do just about anything you want. Here is my story:

I have two separate cylinders for my 250. Eric ported both; one for mo everywhere, and the other for low to mid. Beforehand I came off of a mid-sized straight-gas 350cc play bike bumped 90cc's (overkill; can you say grunt?)

My 250 came stock with what seemed like too much of a hit - certainly less than all MXers - but in reality it was more of a steep ramp up to the mid hit; and it would not pull 5th in a sandwash with a slight incline.

Telling Eric what I wanted - I am a beliver in professional discretion - he did a mo-everywhere port job. His work did exactly as he stated: the transition up to the mid hit became smoother, and a bit more over rev was evident - therfore 5th could now be used in inclines if I was running behind in an enduro.

My other cylinder was sent to him for mo bottom to mid. I have one season on it, and although I no longer ride in the same (desert-regional) conditions, from what I can tell this work brought about a mild move in the same delivery - shifted to the left - occuring at lower RPMs; similar and more useful in the mountainous and tighter conditions of the coast.

With the first ride of this latter job I was expecting it to claw toward the sky! What happened in reality was it became a smidget more manageable. Just right.

These experiences lead me to believe he not only does quality work, and - at least with my model - nothing radical, and preserves the all the favorable power-delivery traits by enhancing what is already there, creating a more useful overall delivery. It's not like night-and-day, but enough for an average guy to notice and appreciate. And for the $, well worth it.

Last edited:

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Eric did the cylinder two years ago on my RM250. I was very pleased with the power delivery of the motor. It pulled harder with a smooth transition, no more hit. Definitely made the bike easier and more fun to ride. I would strongly recommend the "Mo Better" porting. :aj:

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
it is great to see all these responces, thanks a lot guys. i defiantly want the 250 two stroke now. now i need to figure out what brand, green is my favorite color so i think i will go kx 250.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
What year KX ? I really like the KX 250...A really clean running motor. The 05' should be on the showroom floor soon..Looks like it's going to be a good bike. :yeehaw:

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
im not sure what year kx 250, i want something about 2-3 years old. i rode my friends 04 yz 250 tonight and the hit didnt scare me as bad and i thought it was a lot of fun.

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
My cylinder is currently being ported and I didn't see anyone answer this anywhere, so If I am re-asking, I apologize...But, what type of jetting changes can I expect to have to make for mo' betta everywhere?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I never have my bike jetted properly until after I had it ported so my input won't help much. I wouldn't expect that you would have to change it much though if at all.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
A guy on another board had his KTM 300exc turned into a 310 with Mo Better Everywhere and said it wanted to be richer down low and leaner up top than before. Switched from DDK needle to CGH and richened the pilot one step, which did the trick. He's a desert guy and rides at 2000-5000 feet, runs Amsoil 2000 at 40:1 with VP U2 gas (he used to run premium pump but said the U2 cleaned up the spooge problem he'd always had).

Top Bottom