Eric or Rich

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
I am sorry to beat this subject to death but I am curious about the 04 KX 125 cylinder. I have it jetted correctlyThe plug is a br8es and it is perfect. Also I started to play with the timming. So here is my dilema it feels like the top end is not what it should be my compression is 160# so thats good, I read in erics hand book that the cylinder base needs to be turned down .030 to match the yz. Will this aid in keeping better over rev, or would widening the ports help? The reason it is so short on the pipe is that the transfers are too high right? Back to the timming if I set it at the full retard position it seems to help some. How exactly is the PC pipe different from the stock one, Does it help a sufficient amount. BTW my gearing is 13/51

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
hot125mod said:
Back to the timming if I set it at the full retard position it seems to help some.

Retarding the ignition timing will increase the temperature of the exhaust gas. As the temperature of the exhaust gas increases the pipe "tunes" at a higher rpm. It's similar to shortening the tuned length of the pipe.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
no wffr you didnt but in at all i did not know that the es was like that. so my question is is the kawi cylinder just designed like that. the bike is fast and runs great but feels so short on the pipe. maybe I just need to shift earlier, It is just habit to rev the piss out of it.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
No it is a completly stock the only thing i did was jet it and play with the timming. I was just curious to know if that is how the motor is right from kawasaki, it feels like a lightswitch.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You would probably do well with putting the timing where it is supposed to be and jet your engine. You then need to look at your plug. Use the cheap welding plugs to jet with. Look at the plug to see if the timing is good. Reeds and packing good? Is the bike/cylinder new, or new to you? I would have figured an engine would not even run with the timing full retarded. Care to explain what a light switch means to you? On a 125, a powerband that jumps off idle and pulls hard all the way up would be ideal! If it is falling on its face off idle, then catching: adjust your air screw and see if your pilot is too rich.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…