BellevegasB

May 15, 2002
I'm interested in buying some black Excel rims for my 2002 DRZ400S. I was wondering what all is involved with this. I've noticed that they sell just the rims by themselves. Would I be able to use my stock hubs and spokes with these? And how hard is it to re-spoke onto a new rim? If it's not something I can do myself, how much would it cost? I must admit I'm really only interested in this because I think the black rims look so good, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the cost and effort for looks only.

Thanks in advance.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I'm on my way to pick up my wheels in just a few minutes actually. I'm like you, I prefer the look of the black..but intil I binged up my front a bit, and got a good deal on a rear...I waited. Got both for 200 delivered...so not too bad.
Anyway, I took apart the wheels myself, cleaned them all up and re-assembled them (though apparently I was 1 hole off on the front...didn't know that was possible). I used to mount and balance my street bike tires when I was racing so I figured I'd give truing a try.

uh...na...I don't have that much time. So I laced them to no much more than fingertight and took em down to a local wheel shop.

course, he had to grind the rear spokes since it's a drop center rim (?) and relace the front...

but did that and tru'd em for 90 dollars. Bargain in my book.

and my new set of tires arrived yesterday! now if the darn triple clamps and efm clutch would get here I'd have a rideable bike again :-)

BellevegasB

May 15, 2002
Thanks for the reply! So it looks like you can use stock hubs and spokes, and with having them installed it could be done for less than $400 front and rear, huh? I think that may be worth it.... Maybe I'll wait until I mess up one of my stock rims first though. Thanks for the info!

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Send them to me... I can have them done - Brand new front rim / Brand new rear rim, Laced/Trued and torqued for $325.00 (Shipping back included).

If interested - let me know.

Jeff

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
that's not a bad deal....I'm into mine for 290.

One thing to check is the rims itelself. Mx-South told me Excel is changing their line and will only be making 1 or 2 rims, and will sell spoke sets depending on the bike...

so obviously it's going to be more expensive. Just make sure you get the correct rims...

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
honestly I have no facts to support anything, just that the did's I've seen, both on my 02 ktm and a friends 02 cr, were tweaked, bent..whatever.

and ones I've seen with excels haven't been....

so no direct proof from me, but I'm hoping they are stronger.

BellevegasB

May 15, 2002
Would it be cheaper to anodize the stock set? I had thought about powder coating the stock ones, but I think powder coating would chip and look crappy after a while. How much is it to get something anodized?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
i just put gold excels on my 250F. i was lucky that excel had an older style rear rim in stock that uses stock yamaha nipples. the new style rear rim has a bigger nipple diameter requiring you to buy an excel nipple set. so i was able to use stock hubs/spokes/nipples. took an hour to relace the new rims then had the wheels trued.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom