Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
After my recent Pismo Beach trip I was toying with the idea of getting another complete wheelset so that I could switch to sand tires and sprocket ratio from the dirt wheels and vice versa.

I would take the KDX oem wheelset and use that for the sand and then pick up an Excel wheelset and use those as my primary.

My question is that since the excels are by no means inexpensive, is the extra lightness and strength they provide a significant improvement? adding to the overall reliability and agility of the bike? or is it still simply in the regime of "bling" :)

Comments?

Thanks in Advance!

Feanor

yater

Nov 7, 2003
Sorry I can't answer but I've been looking at 'em too. You're right about the "bling" factor--those black ones would look saweet on the kdx!

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
I don't think they are lighter, but they are definetly stronger. Besides bling they do up the strength as a package (hubs, good spokes, and rims)

yater

Nov 7, 2003
Spokes and rims (without the hub) go for just under $500! I just think that's a little steep. I assume the hubs would add at least another $150 each? That's $800 minimum for some "bling"

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
fishy said:
what kind of prices have ya found.

I've looked in a few places including OnOffroad.com and MXSouth, and actually the price (you have to by the carrier rings front and rear as well) is closer to about $1100-1200 for a set depending on wether you had to pay state sales tax or not...

Because they're so expensive I was really hoping that someone would chime in and say something like "They will make a HUGE difference!!!" But it appears to not be the case :)

I'm all for strengthening the bike and making it more reliable though :)

Have a good one all!

Feanor

Oct 28, 2004
I am running excells with thier spokes and they are very solid, also my friend has them on his yz125 and has yet to do any damage to them after some big jumps and falls. not sure how the stock rims compare since i never had them but i just love em

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I have yet to put a significant dent in ANY stock rim over the past 10 years. Maybe because I weigh 140lbs? I could never justify $1000 on rims

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
Hey guys just found your site and love it. I have a 99 KDX200 with black excel on it and Love them. They will take alot more punishment than stock. I have bent stock several time. Have had these about 2 years hadn't even ding them. Thay also have the beefy stainless steel spokes with factory hubs. I LOVE THEM, but didn't have to buy them. They came with the bike.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I have the rims and big spokes. Really seems to give my bike a more overall solid feel. A very noticeable difference from stock. They didn't used to offer a hub for the KDX. You guys need to shop around some more. I only gave like $300 for rims, spokes, spline drive nipples.

SoCalMatt

Dec 8, 2004
I've got the black Excels and beefy Buchanan spokes with my stock hubs on my 02 CR250. I cracked my stock rear rim and warped and dinged the hell out of the old stock front rim. They are pricey but worth it, and yes they look really cool. The rims should cost about $135 each and the spokes are about $70 for each wheel. I had the rear done a couple months back and just picked up the front today from my local shop. I did it this way because it is a bit pricey. They charged $70 to lace up each wheel. I go to the dunes once in awhile too and I was thinking of getting another complete wheel set, but I dont think its worth it. Just throw the paddle onto your new Excels whenever you go to the dunes. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom