88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Hello all, Fredette recommends an Answer SA silencer and FMF Fatty pipe for my 1988 KDX 200. Is the Answer SA silencer still made? Where can I get it. And does anyone with an 1986-1988 KDX 200 have a different exhaust combo that works well.

Thanks,

Dan

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
I have the combo you listed and it works well. I dont know where you get that answer silencer anymore... I had a DG silencer on it before the Answer, and that worked well. I think you can get the DG silencer from Dennis Kirk still...

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by mcoker
I have the combo you listed and it works well. I dont know where you get that answer silencer anymore... I had a DG silencer on it before the Answer, and that worked well. I think you can get the DG silencer from Dennis Kirk still...

Yeah, the DG is available through dennis kirk, part # 44-0168 for $86. And I swear I've seen a "universal" fit turbine core2 silencer somewhere that looked like it would fit just fine, but I can't find it in my catalogs...

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Thanks for the info mcoker. The DG Type 11 silencer seems to be the only one available for my 88. I guess it will work fine.
What year is your bike and did you change the carb jets?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
You should be able to purchase anything still made from fredette, he may even have somethign used laying arround....

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by 88KDX
Thanks for the info mcoker. The DG Type 11 silencer seems to be the only one available for my 88. I guess it will work fine.
What year is your bike and did you change the carb jets?

Mine's an '88 too. And yes I re-jetted

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
OK, so I finally ordered the FMF Fatty pipe, DG type 2 silencer and Boysen reeds (to replace my old wornout Boysen reeds). Can't wait to get it and put it all on. I had a new (stock) piston and rings put in this winter and everything else is stock on this bike. Any ideas on what size jets I should use with this set up.
Thanks

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
if I recall correctly, I believe I'm running 152/45/1173(needle) with the clip in the 2nd (from top) position in mine. But that's just for me... who knows if it would work well on your bike. You should just buy a bunch of jets and try them out, it's really easy to swap out jets.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I've recently got an '88 with a PSI pipe. I've don't have a stock pipe to compare to. My current problem is starting. I can push start it easy, but the kicker doesn't seem to get up enough rpm. Has anyone had the stator ignition coil go away on them? Is this the first sign? Or do I have to play some more with jetting and A/S. I've replaced jets and tried different size pilots and A/S settings (145/45/R1172) but nothing seems to make it 'easy' to start like I know it should.

Good luck with the FMF pipe and DG silencer,

donh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 20, 2002
Nice to see some "C" model conversation going!

Definatly nice to see some more people with older KDX's. I've had alot of people tell me that the fmf makes a huge diference on the "C" models power. Please post with your opinions if you are trying different exhaust combos, I'd appreciate the reviews if possible .

I just did a complete overhaul of the engine (new top end, bearings, seals, gaskets, and replaced all out of spec or worn parts, etc...) and she runs like new, so I probably won't put a pipe on this year. Plus I'm a little short on cash at the moment.

While I had the engine apart I found out that it had a KX125 clutch in it. I talked to a mechanic, and he seemed to think that the bike came with it straight from the factory. Just wondering if you guy's could tell me if it's stock or not.

Thanks

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
The R1172 came with my '88 when I bought it in Feb. I see the stock one should be R1386E. I do not know what the difference is.

sillygoose27

Oct 13, 2002
88KDX,
I'm from queens, but my bike stays up in delaware county... i don't ride nearly as much as i want to, was just riding this weekend and broke my brake lever in half :( It seems everytime it runs great, something else breaks.
Where in NY are you?

hasBen

Mar 31, 2002
It is amazing how many older KDX200s are still out there. I must say I just love these bikes and I hope to see them around for a long time to come. My son and I recently sold ours (he just got too fast for it). We had a 1986 KDX200 that my son Shawn raced in local hare scrambles and motocross. When we bought it there had already been some engine work done. It had a steel sleeve installed and a Wiseco piston fitted. The bike ran poorly when we got it but we were able sort out the problems and it was a great bike for him. I installed Boyesen Power Reeds, UNI air filter, punched it to 67mm with Wiseco piston kit, did some port '''clean up" work, DG headpipe and silencer, rebuilt and resealed suspension at both ends, top of the line rear alloy sprocket and RK520sho X-W ring chain. The trickest upgrade was a 19" rear wheel and disc brake assembly. The bike was awesome! It turned a few heads at the motocross track, especially when he would pull a hole shot and leave all those newer mx bikes behind. For motocross the engine was up to the task but the suspension was the weak link. In the hare scrambles he ran A class and did very well with it (best finish... 2nd..). The DG exhaust system made a GREAT improvement in the bike. We were very happy with the bike and even bought up a whole bunch of spares. A local Gas Gas dealer offered Shawn a ride on a 02 EC200. and the KDX200 was put away. The speed he was going on it was just too hard on the poor bike. This is not meant to say the bike was weak just 16 year old suspension can only be asked to do so much. Anyway the Gas Gas ride came along just in time as Shawn soon moved to Junior 250 in motocross and would be required to jump a little harder than the KDX could handle. He now is riding a 250 'crosser in both the motocross and hare scramles (we have a large tank, fly wheel weight and FMF gnarly pipe for the hare scrambles and put most of the stock stuff back on for mx). He is still remembered for the KDX though as just this weekend at the motocross track several people walked up to us and asked about the hop up stuff we did to the old '86 KDX200. The fellow who bought the bike from us just wanted it for getting to and from fishing holes and had me remove most of the performance items before he would take it. Our spares and hop up stuff are listed in the classifieds section (this is not a "plug" ..just wanted to let you know we have some stuff if you need it ). I miss the bike already...should have kept it for when I get the urge to ride. Ben

sillygoose27

Oct 13, 2002
Does any one know where i can get the 3 allen head screws for the end of my Answer S/A-Pro spark arrestor? I lost one of the bottom ones, the other bottom one is stripped and the top is ok. I wanted to repack it, but i don't wanna only hold the end on with only one screw.
thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom