motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
Has anybody seen this yet? What a bunch of ---holes!News & Updates

11/26/2002
INDUSTRY NEWS - The FIM Threatens To Expel The AMA
Posted By Paul Carruthers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Supercross Fight!
The AMA announced today that it has been threatened with expulsion from the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM), the world-wide motorcycle sanctioning body based in Geneva, Switzerland, by Francesco Zerbi, President of the FIM.

Zerbi's threat to expel the AMA, which is the sole U.S. affiliate of the FIM, was contained in a November 20, 2002, letter to AMA President Robert Rasor. The letter was Zerbi's response to AMA Pro Racing's objection to the FIM's efforts to unilaterally impose its authority, rules and sanction on the 16-event 2003 AMA Supercross series, according to the AMA.

The AMA and AMA Pro Racing have sanctioned Supercross since 1974. Under the terms of a contract with Clear Channel Motorsports, the primary promoting organization for AMA Supercross, AMA Pro Racing has the exclusive rights to sanction and manage the series. Neither the AMA nor the FIM is party to that contract, the AMA says.

The FIM, however, notified AMA Pro Racing that it must conduct those events according to FIM rules and under the direction of an FIM official. AMA Pro Racing's objection to the FIM's demands resulted in Zerbi's expulsion threat.

"The AMA has been a loyal, supportive member of the FIM for over 30 years and has always placed the interests of motorcycle sport among our highest priorities. We intend to continue in our role as the national federation representing American motorcyclists to the FIM," said AMA President Rasor in a release. "If the FIM management persists in this extreme and unjustified approach, we'll vigorously fight those efforts to expel the AMA from the FIM."

"The AMA agrees with AMA Pro Racing's position that the FIM lacks the authority to hijack AMA Supercross for its own interests," said Rasor, "and we'll stand behind AMA Pro Racing's efforts to use all necessary means to protect AMA Supercross, the world's premier Supercross series, from unwarranted interference."

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I just read the same thing on the RacerX website. Pretty obvious what's going on here.

:uh: DORNA :uh:

I just sent this letter to info@fim.ch :|

RE: American Supercross

To whom it may concern:

Just keep your greedy FIM/DORNA stench out of American Supercross! We don't tell you how to screw up GP motocross.

Thank you.

Wes Baca
Albuquerque, NM, USA

And this one to letters@racerxill.com :confused:

Dear RacerX Illustrated,

I just read the AMA press release about the FIM wanting "in" on SX. All I can say is:

If that doesn't have DORNA greed written all over it, then I'll kiss Francesco Zerbi's fat hairy ass until he howls like a wolf.

Wes Baca
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Dougie
What is Dorna?
Same thing as CCE except Euro version.

Originally posted by BigR
Why is CCE allowing this? I don't see where they stand to make any more money.
Not only are they allowing it, it was probably their idea. Check this:

November 26, 2002

AMA Pro Racing files suit against Clear Channel

- press release -

PICKERINGTON, OHIO -- Paradama Productions, Inc., d/b/a AMA Pro Racing, announced today that it has filed a lawsuit in federal district court seeking an injunction against Clear Channel Motorsports. The complaint seeks enforcement of the Supercross Sanctioning Agreement signed by AMA Pro Racing and Clear Channel Motorsports in March 2002, which stipulates that AMA Pro Racing maintains the exclusive rights to sanction Clear Channel's events included in the AMA Supercross Series.

The lawsuit, filed yesterday in Columbus, Ohio, stems, in part, from Clear Channel Motorsports' allowing the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) to take over sanctioning and rules-enforcement for Clear Channel's events included in the AMA Supercross Series.

"Clear Channel Motorsports, along with the FIM, are attempting to combine the AMA Supercross Series with smaller events in Europe and create a new series under the FIM banner. Undoubtedly, this is not in the best interest of American racers, teams or Supercross fans," said Scott Hollingsworth, CEO of AMA Pro Racing. "We will not stand by idly while AMA Supercross is dismantled in this fashion. Outside meddling in AMA Supercross will only result in a weakened series as well as confusion among all parties."

AMA Pro Racing is an independent subsidiary of the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) responsible for managing the AMA Supercross Series on behalf of the Association. The AMA is a 270,000-member not-for-profit organization whose purpose is to pursue, protect and promote the interests of motorcyclists, while serving the needs of its members. Under the terms of the contract between AMA Pro Racing and Clear Channel Motorsports, AMA Pro Racing maintains the exclusive right to sanction all 15 Clear Channel Motorsports-promoted rounds of the 16-race AMA Supercross Series. Neither the AMA nor the FIM is a party to that contract.

"Our agreement with Clear Channel is unambiguous in this regard," said Hollingsworth. "Clear Channel does not have the right to allow the FIM to sanction any event in the AMA Supercross Series or to commandeer the 28 years of AMA Supercross and rename it the FIM World Supercross GP. The FIM has repeatedly failed in its attempts to organize a world supercross championship and should not be able to create one this way. AMA Supercross will continue into the future and will maintain its standing as the world's leading Supercross series."

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Wes, I'm pretty sure the AMA is going to want to hire you for their main PR man after that email!

We'll refer to you from now on as Doctor Diplomacy!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Its such a shame they need to mess with stuff that works-the old GP system was good IMO-now look at what they have done-im with Kiwi_925:(

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by XRpredator
Wes, I'm pretty sure the AMA is going to want to hire you for their main PR man after that email!

We'll refer to you from now on as Doctor Diplomacy!
Hey thanks Pred. Ya think they have an opening? I wouldn't have gone so easy on the FIM if I had known that CCE was in on it too. :confused:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
A while back I said it would be interesting to see which tree the greedy fat a##wipes that are DORNA could crash international motocross into then................then Wolfgang said "Hey that looks like a good one" and so the speedo crept up to 90...............

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
They went to a single short race format-no riders or teams or fans like it.It was done to fit it in with the TV times-however since it was done its almost never on TV. :debil:

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Clear Channel...................... :moon:
FIM...................................... :moon:
DORNA................................ :moon:

Keeping Supercross Hosted Events American Only :yeehaw:

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
I read the british dirt bike mag a while ago - my brother had an oldish one - and it had a report of an eur of mx, and what he the guy said was that its how mx used to be like, two 40min motos and a really good weekend with the lads having beers watching some damn fine racing, unlike motocross GP, well the new class its being called, they need to be showen it aint ROAD RACING!! MotoGP and MotocrossGP and SP1 and SGP and all that crap!

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
Kiwi, your exactly right. I don't know what it is gonna take, but these morons (Dorna, FIM) cannot be given control of the U.S. series. Everybody was down on the AMA last year, and Clear Channel was claiming all they had done for the sport over the years. Well all Clear Channel has ever done is profit greatly without really raising the rewards for the riders. Clear Channel clearly new what it was doing when it signed this contract and wanted to stick it in the AMA's rear end. You know the old saying about keeping your enemies closer than your friends, well here is a perfect example!

Top Bottom