angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Almost three years after my first race I finally won one.

To be honest, I was a little upset that I was even going to this race. I had to cancel my plans to race the Funcky Chicken national in Oregon, because this race was rescheduled on the same weekend. At the same time, that also motivated me to do well. I had ridden this area only once, 2 years ago. I hated the dusty conditions, and I actually swore that I'd never return. Really, the only reason I did, was to stay up in the points chase.

My brother and I drove up saturday for the sunday race. We were able to sign up then and meet up with our normal group of riding buddies and set up camp. After a decent nights sleep, it looked like a nice day to ride. The A/B race lined up for a 9am start. I took my place in the second to last row with the other vet's. The start was a short straight with a 180 degree right hand turn and then lots of fast fireroad. I was prepared for a long race of 2 loops of over 40 miles. When the gun went off, I got a good top 5 start. At the turn. I swept outside and went right into a ditch. I kept the bike running, but came out in dead last. I caught up to the back of the pack pretty fast, but then came a huge wall of dust. I felt my way through for several miles, making a few passes and getting passed once. The dust started to ease off, and I settled down and really relaxed. Just about that time, we turned into some great singletrack. Anyone who knows me, knows that I live for single track. Many miles have been turned on the narrow trails with guys like Mr. WR, Dirt Bike Dave, Fremont Guy, Ret Sr, Kelly and all my NorCal riding buddies, especially my brother. I really got comfortable in the still moist single track, but quickly became stuck behind slower traffic. I methodically passed whenever I got the chance, and some guys even pulled over after battling for awhile. I had repassed the one guy who passed me when he rode into some bushes. I wanted to get away from him, because he was ahead of me in the standings. There were still others in my class way ahead of me out of sight. The loop had a little of everything in it. It all seemed very familiar to the terrain I ride near my house. I rode smart, saving energy, but still charging. I battled with one guy for several miles before getting by on a steep rocky downhill. A little later, I spotted a guy who also was in my class and ahead of me in points. I really put my head down and again made a pass on a steep rutted downhill. He tried to pick up the pace and stay with me, but I eventually pulled away. Then I spotted 2 bike ahead. I instantly recognized the hemet of my friend Kelly, who started a row ahead of me and was looking real fast. I again reached down and charged, realizing that I was doing well at this point. I followed for a long time, stalking him silently, as my 200 could not be heard over his 520. We each caught and passed a couple more riders and finally, on yet another downhill, Kelly lost the front end in a rut and I sped by antagonizing him as I passed. The last part of the lap was a 3 mile run through a creek bed. This was one of the best parts of the loop. I railed hard through the bed and the water crossings. Finally came the start/finish line and the pits. I pulled in and was greeted by a stunned pit crew. My brother told me that I was doing well. I stayed focussed and took off on lap 2. I rode the first 2/3 of the second lap as good as I possibly could. I got into an epic battle with a fellow 200 rider from the row in front of mine. We actually passed several A riders as we battled between ourselves. Eventually, he pulled a small lead after we left the single track, but I could see him just in front of me. I then managed to crash twice in about a 5 mile span. I regrouped quickly and caught back up to the 200 rider. Then, he crashed and I got by. He came back by when I got stuck in a mud whole behind an A rider. I then decided to settle in and finish strong, but conservatively. When I reached the creek bed, I gave it every last bit I had. I again caught the 200 rider and passed him when he overshot a turn. We blazed the last mile or so and I barely beat him to the finish. It didn't really matter, because on adjusted time I was already ahead of him, but it was fun anyway.
So that's how it ended, over 80 miles full speed, and then having to drive 5 hrs to get home. It was worth it though :thumb: .

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Exciting race report, angry jim! :flame:
I felt like I was watching a race video or something while reading it.
Congratulations!!! :thumb:
Mini

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
That has to be a great feeling to win like that. Sounds like you had to really work hard. I didn't fair as well. In the C race I got out about 7 of 8 miles and was creeping at a snails pace due to all the dust. I past riders on the fire road that because of the dust had rode right off the mountain into the brush. Back to my story at about 7 or 8 miles out and riding very slow through the dust a rider came by me hauling butt and clipped my handle bar. This knocked my front wheel to the right and straight into a small rut which flopped me onto the ground. Low and behold I come up with a dislocated shoulder. All this from the most easy "crash" I have ever had. The guy that hit me crashed hard (again he was haulin freight). He gets up and asked if I was ok, when I informed him NO, he appologised and said he would notify an official, then he rode off. There I sat wondering what the hell do I do now. About 15 min later the first aid sweepers came along and they had radios. So a plan was set in action. About an hour later a 4x4 arrived along with a rider to get my bike out. Then it was a 8 or so mile trek rocking back and forth in the 4x4 back to camp. Once there my wife drove me to the local hospital in Lakeport where I stayed for a few more hours, and after 5 attempts at resetting my shoulder unsuccessfully they decided to transfer me by ambulance to another hospital in Ukiah. By this point thank god I am on so much pain meds I could care less about anything. Once in Ukiah I was taken to the OR where a orthopedic surgen and anestesiologist consulted with me. Then I was put under general anestesia and the surgeon was able to reset my shoulder. All said it was 10 hours after the accident before my shoulder was reset, and 3am before my wife and I arrived back at camp. All in all I would like to express my gratitude to the Sonoma County Sports Cycle Association for doing a great job of notifing my wife, and getting me off the mountain...Thank You!

I have an Appt. with my local orthopedic next week. I have never had a dislocation before (and would not wish it on anyone, the pain is awfull), so I am hoping with time I will heal up and my shoulder will be strong. At least there is plenty of time before the fall season kicks off.
Lew

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Jim,
Congratulations! You 'da Man! Excellent report, too. I knew it was just a matter of time before you took a class win. Must be especially sweet on the little 200, when most the Vet class is on bigger bikes. I saw your brother got 2nd in his class and Kelly did well, too. Great job, guys.

Lew - sorry to hear about the injury. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
Jim Congratulations!!! Like Dave said it was only a matter of time. Thanks for the little credit because of all the riding are group has done. Great ride report. Hope to ride more with you soon.

Lew...not so good to hear story. Bottom line is you will ride and race again. We have over 4 months till the next CC race. Enough time to be ready. Hope to see you there.

George

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
ANGRYJIM Congrats on a great race and thanks for the fine race report.

Lew sorry to hear about your injury, take care of it and see on the trails soon.

Kraig

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Lew, I'm very sorry to hear about your injury. :whiner:
It sounds like you went through everything Buddy just went through a month ago. He's got a broken collarbone and 3 fractured ribs. But good thing is the injury will heal and he can start riding again sometime. Until then he can spend his spare time for looking at dirt bike magazines and cleaning all our bikes. Hope you will have fast and complete recovery!!
Mini

HARDKOREKELLY

Nov 12, 2001
I cant describe the shock and awe I felt as Jim passed me. We are usually close in pace, as we ride quite a bit together. Also when we get the opportunity to race together we usually finish close. But let me tell you Angry was railing like a Garrahan! If he continues to ride like that he'll be placing high up in the A class next year! For my part I must have been leading my class because I got taken out on the 2nd lap by some guy that did not slow down in a tight left hander. He went flying off the road and I got knocked over, breaking my brand new S.S. clutch line. I tried to keep riding and managed to make it thru about 1/2 the 2nd lap before the bike would'nt start any more after stalling so much. Its hard to ride single track with no clutch! I was surprised I still got 3rd, but if I had'nt lost my clutch this thread might have had 2 winners.

Top Bottom