KX85 rider

Feb 23, 2008
am going to start racing by the summer and i want to know what to expect for my first race and what aspects i need to improve, what i need to learn and train etc. thanks for the tips in advance. :)

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
ok just dont be scared and thats bout it and my first race was just a litte while ago and i think you need to learn hills and turns if your doing hare scrambles.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Practice starts!

It's easier to beat 20 guys to the first turn than to pass them in a 5 lap race...

Don't dump the clutch, learn to start with minimum wheel spin and maximum forward movement. Get some help from an experienced racer on proper body and foot placement for the start. Watch several gate drops so you understand the card. Don't hold the clutch and and rev the engine forever, so many rookies do just that.

Don't block the inside of every corner, ride the best line and force the guy behind you to ride in the crap to get around.

Have a good time and remember that you will get faster with time.

KX85 rider

Feb 23, 2008
thanks, but when i practice starts i don't understand how peaple take off so fast, i only accelerate slowly and don't understand what am doing wrong?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
KX85 rider said:
thanks, but when i practice starts i don't understand how peaple take off so fast, i only accelerate slowly and don't understand what am doing wrong?

Are they riding the same size bike as you? If they are riding 125s and your riding an 85 you aren't likely to beat them to the first corner.

If the bikes are comparable on engine size then it can be a few things....

1) Technique: When the flag/gate drops, you should twist the throttle full, let the RPMs climb high then feather the clutch. If you let the clutch out too fast the RPMs drop and your engine isn't producing maximum power. Let the clutch slip to keep the engine at maximum power. Note that this is hard on the clutch and will wear it out faster. Consider it part of the cost of racing.

2) Gearing: Go up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket. The higher ratio (rear/front) will give you faster acceleration. Note that it may also reduce your top speed.

3) Tuning: If the engine isn't running right then you won't get the same power as the other guys.

4) weight: Acceleration is all about the weight to horsepower ratio. If your bike has to move an extra 20 pounds it's not going to move as quickly.

Rod

KX85 rider

Feb 23, 2008
thanks Rod, i was only twisting the throttle slightly and i probably wasn't using the clutch to it's full potential. :nod: :)

jeeves

Jan 23, 2007
At the start, have the bike in second gear and keep the revs high and clutch in. Look down at the gates (or what ever you have as a starting barrier),with both of your feet planted firmly on the ground, feeling for you pegs with the back of your legs. Depending on what surface you are starting on depends on what body postion you should have ie. dirt surface sit forward to stop the front coming up and on concrete sit back to stop wheel spin.
As the 15/10 or 5 second card falls (depends on what you have) let the clutch out a bit and feel for it starting to grab, apply front brake as well and start to give the bike a bit of drive.
When the gate falls let the clutch out gradually and give it heaps of throttle, remember you're in seond gear so you have to give it plently to prevent stalling (if you are in first it is easier to mono/flip).
Practice corners, anyone can go fast in a straight line.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Madmanadam said:
what exactly does 'feathering the clutch' mean?
Does it just mean lightly using it/ tapping it?

It means keeping the clutch lever pulled in enough to keep allow the clutch to slip.

When you shift between gears you would typically squeeze or release the clutch lever quickly and fully, no slipping.

When you take off from stop you would typically release the clutch slowly so that it slips a little as you get started.

In a situation where you need all the power you can get from the engine, such as climbing a steep hill or a racign start, you will release the clutch just enough to keep the engine in its power band, preferably the upper end of the power band. This is NOT a constant setting of the clutch lever, you need to work it. Let it out a little, the engine slows down. If the RPM starts to drop too low you squeeze the clutch a little more. IF the RPMS climb too high you let it out a little.

For a racing start this might be a gradual, steady release. For climbing a hill this is usually a lot of cycles of slight changes in how you are squeezing the lever.

Caution! If climbing the hill is going to take more than a few seconds you should take some breaks! This type of slipping the clucth will heat it up really fast and if it overheats you may destroy it.

Rod

Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
It means keeping the clutch lever pulled in enough to keep allow the clutch to slip.

When you shift between gears you would typically squeeze or release the clutch lever quickly and fully, no slipping.

When you take off from stop you would typically release the clutch slowly so that it slips a little as you get started.

In a situation where you need all the power you can get from the engine, such as climbing a steep hill or a racign start, you will release the clutch just enough to keep the engine in its power band, preferably the upper end of the power band. This is NOT a constant setting of the clutch lever, you need to work it. Let it out a little, the engine slows down. If the RPM starts to drop too low you squeeze the clutch a little more. IF the RPMS climb too high you let it out a little.

For a racing start this might be a gradual, steady release. For climbing a hill this is usually a lot of cycles of slight changes in how you are squeezing the lever.

Caution! If climbing the hill is going to take more than a few seconds you should take some breaks! This type of slipping the clucth will heat it up really fast and if it overheats you may destroy it.

Rod
Understood.

bobbyhill925

Aug 28, 2005
jeeves said:
At the start, have the bike in second gear and keep the revs high and clutch in. Look down at the gates (or what ever you have as a starting barrier),with both of your feet planted firmly on the ground, feeling for you pegs with the back of your legs. Depending on what surface you are starting on depends on what body postion you should have ie. dirt surface sit forward to stop the front coming up and on concrete sit back to stop wheel spin.
As the 15/10 or 5 second card falls (depends on what you have) let the clutch out a bit and feel for it starting to grab, apply front brake as well and start to give the bike a bit of drive.
When the gate falls let the clutch out gradually and give it heaps of throttle, remember you're in seond gear so you have to give it plently to prevent stalling (if you are in first it is easier to mono/flip).
Practice corners, anyone can go fast in a straight line.

the second gear thing only really works with things bigger/ faster than a 125

RACER557

Mar 11, 2007
main thing to remember is to have fun!! dont ride over your head and watch the fast guys this will help alot!! and as always practice,practice,practice. dont be afraid to ask the fast guys questions. they were new riders at one time!!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
SteveinSpringHill said:
Getting hands on instruction from a local pro is worth 100times more than what you'll read on here.

So check for any schools or ask around if a local A rider or pro does some instruction.
^ :cool: ^
Learn your front brake, get comfortable with it. Most passing/catching up is done coming into corners, and you can stay on the gas longer when you've got the allmighty front brake mastered.

motocross8321

Uhhh...
Apr 2, 2008
well I am glad you have this site for tips on taking off, my first race (only 4 races ago) I got all joy happy with the clutch, and yea...you can guess, right over backwards I went, I aint gonna lie, it was terrible

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
motocross8321 said:
well I am glad you have this site for tips on taking off, my first race (only 4 races ago) I got all joy happy with the clutch, and yea...you can guess, right over backwards I went, I aint gonna lie, it was terrible
But....did anyone get pictures?!?

Did it look like this?

truespode_small.jpg

nor_cal7

Apr 2, 2007
ok bacically ive raced about 4 times and im not scared as much any more here is what you are going to expect. When you get at the gate major edrenaline rush will happen but try to over come that. It will be hard but after the gate you will be realeaved. just trust me on this act like your just at practice at the local mx track and just push your self. Also let out the clutch slower than all the other riders at the gate. I popped a wheelie and it scared the crap at me. Your first race you wont be trying to win you will jsut be learning. no fear lol. good luck

mike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom