Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I just got an 08 250xcw-e, and I was not even planning on it. I ended up in the market for a new bike after a young police officer was killed near my home while riding his motorcycle north bound on M-50 heading into Lowell. The officer worked in the same community where I work (EGR). I am a teacher at the high school there. My wife was very upset about the incident and started bugging me to get ride of my rode bike. I had a BMW 650 Dakar dual sport. At 400+ pounds the bike was a tank on the trail and pretty unmanageable on single track. The "dual" in dual sport really stood for smooth roads or rough road. It was definitely not a road/trail bike. My wife suggested I trade in the BMW for another dirt bike. I already had two dirt bikes and did not really need another, but who am I to argue the with logic of my beloved. So the next day (a Saturday) I was off the dealers. I wanted to act fast before my wife had time to think about what she had said. I went two a couple of Kawasaki dealers because I have always been a Honda guy and I was looking to try somthing different. The bikes they had were pretty much like my Honda's, only green. Since I am red-green colorblind anyhow I could not see any difference between the two brands. So I went to Village M.S., I needed to order some Honda parts, and they had a bunch of new KTM's out on the floor. I was ogling an 07 200 when the salesman pulled me aside to show me the new 250. It looked sharp like all the other KTM's. I asked him why there were wires sticking out from under the seat. He replied "those are the battery wires that run the electric start". Electric start on a two stroke! I was hooked. This was different. I got a decent price on the bike and a good price on my trade ($1000 more than the Kawi dealers could come up with). I have had the bike for ten days now and have been buzzing around the neighborhood. The bike has lots of juice on top and pulls as hard as my 250F down low. I am however a modern 2 stroke noob. I am running synthetic premix at 60-1 like the manual says. It sounds thin to me but I have know idea what is right or wrong for a 2 stroke. I have a spark arrester, bark busters and a skid plate on order. What else do I need? Tire and tuning tips for Michigan would also be helpful.

thanks P50

Last edited:

mjbike

Dec 1, 2003
I run oil 40:1 to be on the safe side. Michelin S-12's in MI are my tire of choice( except Drummond Island). Proper suspension set up especially the spring rates are your best bang for the buck IMO. just my .02

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
For what it's worth I am running 50:1 in my 2007 300xcw. I started out at 40:1 but it was smokin a little heavy and fouled up the spark arrestor screen. The guys at Lansing Cycle suggested 50:1 and bike has been running smooth.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
40:1 motul 800 in a 05' 300, zero spooge, no fouling. Replaced piston, rings and silencer packing material @ 150 hrs - no problems, could have easly just replaced the rings and the packing was in good shape (only 20% saturated). Fred T can help with jetting and set up (he has the same bike). Tires??? S12's seem to be a favorite of the pumpkin patch - - - baaaahhhh, (count me as one of the sheep too :rotfl: ) I like the dunlop 773 for Michigan terrain also.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
40:1 Mobil 1 2T in our two strokes. I will most likely switch to Klotz when I can no longer find the 2T (they quit making it).

We should get together for a ride as I live just a couple miles from you near as I can tell (Cascade Township).

I also spend a bunch of time at EGR HS. Our running club uses the track on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I was there the night that the officer was killed and the news crews were all set up at the police station........very sad. :(

Congrats on the new bike! :cool:

Tim

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
Thanks everone for all the advice. I will start runnig 50 to 1 on the next tank and then try 40 to 1 after that. I will likely wait till spring to get the S-12's. Most of my riding around here is grass and clay but when I start taking the bike north I will want some better sand tires. I put S-12's on my 250X this sumer and have been pleased with them.

Hey Badgerman: I would like to take you up on the ride offer. I must warn you I am old and slow (nobody ban carbon up a piston like I can). So you may want to change your mind. If not, I try to go up north at least once a week during the summer. I have a lot of time on my hands June through August as I do not work construction in the summers anymore. I try to go north every other week fall and spring. So drop me a post, reply or an e-mail. I always have room on the trailer when the wife and kid decide to stay home.

MacCoul: I f it has red, white and blue graphics that was my bike. The BMW is a really smooth ride for a single. Great gas milage also. I had it pretty welll tricked out: skid plate, engine guards, bags, big pegs, folding shifter, fairing guards, center stand... There was also a oil change kit and extra parts in the saddle bags. I hope you got all of that. I would have kept the bike but I just did not get a lot of oppertunities to ride it. Most of my commuting involves kids, wife or dogs so I am always taking a car.

MacCoul

Nov 30, 2006
thats the bike. I pick it up today and even all the extra parts in the contaner are there. how did thos tires work when thay were newer ?

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
The tires worked well on dirt roads. They made a lot of noise on pavement, but were generally pretty smooth. There are a lot of different tire options for that bike. Those tires are about as agreesive as I would go for the dirtability of that bike. There are more streetable options availiable if you are going to do more adventure style riding. That bike is a great adventure bike. It is a bit heavy for tight trails but it is perfect for long distance rough road stuff. The seat works well too. I never got monkey butt riding that bike.

MacCoul

Nov 30, 2006
ya this bike not going to be doing any single track, but it will see lots to 2 track and dirt roads. Im thinking like the ccc d/s adventure in the u.p. I have a wr450 for the woods and even that is geting sold for somthing lighter *L* for singal track

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom